Read Reviews on Amazon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losing your eye

Portfolio Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daichungak View Post
    Losing an eye does not result in the loss of your depth perception. A close friend of mine lost his eye (shrapnel) and his depth perception is fine. According to him the biggest annoyance is the huge blind spot.
    Losing an eye does indeed result in a loss of depth perception. The whole reason for our having binocular vision positioned forward on our heads is for the sake of improved depth perception. Note that herbivores, who have binocular vision positioned on either side of their heads, have poorer depth perception than predators and omnivores (like us) and actually cannot see directly in front of their faces. That is because we are specialized to seek out prey (and socialize intimately) and herbivores need to be able to scan as much of their surroundings as possible all at once.

Now, having said that, it is possible to compensate for the loss of depth perception, which is probably what your friend is either consciously or, more likely, unconsciously doing. Engage in a simple experiment. Take two objects of equal size and, while your eyes are closed, have someone position one about a foot closer to you than the other. Now open one eye. You can tell which object is closer automatically not because you still have depth perception, but because the closer object is bigger than the further one. You know this instinctively. The brain itself can also make dramatic compensations for sensory losses, such as compensating for surprisingly large blind spots, which your friend may also be experiencing.
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/aelowan Tumblr: http://aelowan.tumblr.com/
    Blog: This Blog is Terribad The Characters of Faerie Rising - Jessie St. James

I can't speak from personal experience about this and not specifically about the human experience but I have a lot of experience working with dogs and a one eyed dog is an interesting animal. They can be the nicest, most obedient pet ever but if you approach them from their blind-spot they are likely to lash out. With their powerful senses of hearing and smell they know someone/thing is there and their insticts tell them to be wary and possibly attack. I've heard of people having certain senses compensate for the loss of another sense so I imagine that one might become more attuned to hearing and that sixth sense of human presence on the side missing an eye.

On another note, I once saw a woman with one eye and one arm get in a car and drive away. I was fascinated by the human ability to overcome physical obstacles and live a life that is barely more restricted than my own. Perhaps they don't feel that way all the time and I'm sure there are lots of issues to deal with when one's body is permanently damaged but I am impressed when I see how so many people with injuries and physical handicaps have overcome them through force of will.
    “Don't forget - no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell.” Charles de Lint

3. The Following Member Says Thank You to Trick For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12