• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Bloody Unicorn by Philip Overby (Experiment)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
So I've often shared my writing here on Mythic Scribes in the Challenges section. For this year's NaNoWriMo I'm doing something a little different. I've decided to share my chapters as I write them. Normally, this would be a big no-no for me as I want to go about editing, polishing and the like before sharing with people publicly, but I wanted to experiment. I'm edited some, but not hardcore like usual.

Mainly, I wanted to see how I progressed when I knew people were viewing my story as I'm writing it. It's motivated me to keep going so far, therefore I think it's working. The site I'm posting it on encourages sharing work that will become published in the future. The idea is to have writers help each other out by critting or giving feedback to improve the work as it's being written. That said, I like it so far, but I can see how some others would find it difficult to put something out there that hasn't been put through the wringer several times.

I'm sharing the link here, so anyone who cares to check it out, feel free to do so. I shall be eternally grateful and will give you copious virtual high fives.

Here's a synopsis:

Nitz Taescrill, a violent-tempered deposed pixie empress, looks to gain revenge on her sister, Empress Janai, by hiring the elusive assassin the Pale Rat of Schetzera to kill her. But she needs coin and information first, rarities in the world of Splatter-Elf. Together she joins with shapeshifting, gender-bending warlock Wormwheel to find the Albino Unicorn of Arkalia as a gift for a warlord's spoiled daughter. With bounty hunters, witch slayers, gods, and weird monstrosities after them, the job may not be as easy as they expected.

Cheers my dears!

https://www.tablo.io/philip-overby/the-bloody-unicorn

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'm still plugging along with this and I could use Mythic Scribes help to get more views and eyes on this for the competition I'm doing this month. The top 5 novels get reviewed by a major publisher at the end of December. So any reads help in this regard! "Likes" are even more helpful, so if you sign up for the site, you can do so.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

(Click on the link in my first post or in my signature.)

If you comment in this thread that you did so, I'll owe you one later down the road! :)

Tom

Istar
I've been keeping up on your book for a while now, and I really enjoy it.

In fact, I "liked" it. :)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Thanks, Tom! Glad to hear that. And thanks for the bad pun as well! :)

If you'd like me to look at any of your work in the future, feel free to let me know.

Tom

Istar
Thank you for enjoying my bad pun. Most other people in my life don't. :)

Thanks for the offer--I do have one story I posted here, The North Wind. If you could look over it, that would be great.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
One more final push for this. If you love me (which I know you all do) just give the excerpt a read, mention you read it here, and I promise you a critique of whatever you're working on. Also if you can sign up for the site and give me a "like" (click the little heart) I'll love you even more. Who doesn't love a bloody unicorn?

https://tablo.io/philip-overby/the-bloody-unicorn

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
OK, one more (more) final gasp of necrotic breath. Please give the first chapter a read, like it by clicking the little heart and I will read and critique one of your chapters. Save a unicorn!

Link in my signature.