• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Read Me - Collected Valentine's Cards

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I made a book.

This isn't a fantasy story, or even a story in the regular sense of the word. It's probably closer to poetry, but I still want to share it here, maybe some of you will find it interesting/inspiring (also, it's free, kind of).

The book is a collection of Valentine's Cards I've made. Most of them work well enough on their own, but a few of them require the context of other cards to really work. As such, gathering the cards into a book seemed like a good idea.

For more information check out this page on my blog: Burn With Me ? s v r t n s s e

The entire book is available for free in PDF format, and there are links for ordering a physical copy from a print-on-demand service if you're interested in that (non-profit, no revenue added).

Please have a look, and if you do, let me know what you think.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Your lines are really good. I think you should consider getting some kind of character art made and make memes out of them.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Your lines are really good. I think you should consider getting some kind of character art made and make memes out of them.

This is definitely something that I've considered. I'm not confident enough with my drawing/graphic design abilities, but I know plenty of people who are and who would be interested in helping out. It's probably more a matter of time than anything else.

I'd also like to try and get an illustrated version of the book out in order to try and raise some money for charity. Again though it's for further down the line. For now, I'm happy to have gotten this done and to be able to focus on my own writing for a bit.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Thanks Nimue. The book is a very personal piece of work. I'm glad you like it. :)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I just received 30 copies of my book today. This the final version, with my own ISBN number and everything, and I won't be updating it again.

I put a few copies up for sale at the local coffee shop where I do most of my writing, and I gave a few away to people over here that I wanted to cheer up a little. Most of the rest of them have been put in the mail and sent off to various friends and relatives around the world (admittedly, mostly US).
It was fun, but a little challenging trying to come up with something to write in each copy for each person I sent it to. It feels a bit bad to repeat myself, even when the people I'm sending the books to don't know each other, and never will see what I wrote to the others.

Overall, I'm happy though. I'm proud of my little book, and I believe in it. I think it will touch people in a positive way, and hope they'll be able to pick it up now and then, browse through it, and feel a little better about life.

EDIT: The final version is available as a free PDF on my blog now: Burn With Me ? s v r t n s s e (look for the Friend's & Famiily version).
It's largely the same as the previous version with only a few pages being different.
The big deal with this version is that it contains the one Valentine's Day card that I actually sent to the person I designed them all for (only slightly modified for privacy reasons). If you want to have a look it's the one that isn't quite the same as all the other ones. ;)

Last edited:

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
MY book is now available through amazon.com as well. :)

It's more expensive there (due to distribution etc), and I don't make any profit from it, but at least it's there - which feels kind of cool.

If anyone's interested in getting it - it'd make for a good gift I think - have a look at the link to my website in the original post instead. It's Print On Demand though, and it probably won't be delivered in time for the holidays.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I just discovered that someone has given my book a four star rating on goodreads.com. :D

I'm really hazy on how goodreads works. Is the book listed there through it's ISBN number, or did someone add it to the site manually? I know for sure I didn't do it myself and only discovered it by accident as I was updating my website's page about the book.

I may have to look into this further.

Also, link: Read Me by Nils Odlund ? Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Last edited:

neodoering

Minstrel
Something Similar

I made a book.

This isn't a fantasy story, or even a story in the regular sense of the word. It's probably closer to poetry, but I still want to share it here, maybe some of you will find it interesting/inspiring (also, it's free, kind of).

The book is a collection of Valentine's Cards I've made. Most of them work well enough on their own, but a few of them require the context of other cards to really work. As such, gathering the cards into a book seemed like a good idea.

For more information check out this page on my blog: Burn With Me ? s v r t n s s e

The entire book is available for free in PDF format, and there are links for ordering a physical copy from a print-on-demand service if you're interested in that (non-profit, no revenue added).

Please have a look, and if you do, let me know what you think.

I read the first twenty-five pages or so and enjoyed the works. It's important to get your work out there where people can read it for themselves. Stick with the writing, and stick with the promotions!

Last year a friend introduced me to a book by Ashleigh Brilliant, who does funny and thought-provoking sayings in 17 words or less. Here is the page of his web site where you can get his books: https://www.ashleighbrilliant.com/books2.html. Reading some of his works might stimulate your own creativity.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I read the first twenty-five pages or so and enjoyed the works. It's important to get your work out there where people can read it for themselves. Stick with the writing, and stick with the promotions!

Last year a friend introduced me to a book by Ashleigh Brilliant, who does funny and thought-provoking sayings in 17 words or less. Here is the page of his web site where you can get his books: https://www.ashleighbrilliant.com/books2.html. Reading some of his works might stimulate your own creativity.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to give it a shot. Happy to hear you enjoyed it. :)

Ashleigh Brilliant has been mentioned to me in the past so it's a name I'm familiar with. I looked at his site a while back, and there was some cool stuff there. I didn't dig very deep though. Will have a look again once I get home from work.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
i want to share this picture from an art/poetry/music event I attended over the weekend. This was the last in a series of events, and I'd brought this copy of the book along for people to write and draw in during the previous events. It saw quite a bit of use and I got some good comments on it, but this is the first and only picture of someone actually using the book to add something of their own to it.
It's a real strange feeling to see someone interacting with a piece of art I've created in this way - in a good way. It makes me very happy, and I can't help but show off this picture to as many people as I can think of. :)

Attachments

• 24799635_744954619037116_4774330183928103871_o.jpg
    24799635_744954619037116_4774330183928103871_o.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 1