• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Editing buddies

It would be awesome if Mythic Scribes had an editing buddy program. People could sign up to exchange works, and help each other out.

The only problem is that some people are afraid of getting ripped off.
(I found my editing buddy at a writing workshop in real life, we lived four hours away from each other and could not meet face to face very often so it took us monthes of emailing back and forth for us to become conformable enough to trade works, We now live on opposite sides of the USA and still trade. We may even try co-writing one of my old ideas when we are both done with our current WIP)
Still think it's a cool idea

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I've got one I found through MS who, even though I work with a full-time writing partner, I couldn't live without! Granted, we just sort of fell into the arrangement one day - I mercilessly critiqued one of his pieces of one the showcase, and you know how men respond to abuse! ;) We have a chapter by chapter quid pro quo arrangement going on - In a perfect world he edits one of mine, I edit one of his. (As it stands he edits one of mine and I stare at a 3 chapter pile of his excellent writing because the little bastard writes faster than I do so I edit like a mad fiend trying to keep up! ;) )

Long story short - get to know people and make friends. I'd been on this site for over a year before stumbling into this arrangement, which while it is worth its weight in gold IS time consuming - editing the way I approach it is NOT for the faint of heart. It works for my partner and I because we have become good friends, we don't coddle each other, and our writing styles compliment each other marvelously (we even share the same Zodiac sign - freaky, huh?).

Have patience and stick around. Worse thing that happens is you come away with good professional contacts and excellent writing advice!

teacup

Auror
the little bastard writes faster than I do so I edit like a mad fiend trying to keep up!

>: D

It would be awesome if Mythic Scribes had an editing buddy program. People could sign up to exchange works, and help each other out.

It is actually really helpful. I have definitely improved a lot since A.E. began attacking my chapters :p
I'm not sure how a program on here could work, because as you say, people could be afraid. The best way to go about it is the way A.E. said - make friends and you might work something out.

I have an editing friend, it just that I saw the forum about suggesting ways to better the site, and thought I would throw this idea out there. It could start small, people could post that they are looking for or willing to edit then talk and start emailing. who knows maybe it will catch.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
The only problem is that some people are afraid of getting ripped off.

Like I said, the key is networking, which is exactly what a professional site like this is for - that and talking about cats and preferred arguing ad nauseum about the virtues of "Showing" vs. "Telling."

Make friends. Share ideas. Remember, ideas are a dime a dozen - put the basic plots of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Jim Butcher's Storm Front side by side and they're identical. What matter is execution, and only YOU can make that difference. So make friends, share ideas, debate concepts and learn new things. And for heaven's sake, stop fussing about another wannabe writer making off with your "golden egg" of an idea.

You never know who you'll be running into at a con someday!