• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

WYSIWYG Editor and paragraph spaces not working

Jabrosky

Banned
I have the WYSIWYG Editor option checked on my forum settings, yet within the past couple of days its interface hasn't showed up whenever I try to create a post. As if that weren't enough, I also have trouble creating spaces between paragraphs. It seems the software merges separate paragraphs into the same one. Is anyone else having these strange issues?

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I've received another report of the paragraph spaces not working. They seem to be working fine for some people, but not others. Let's go through some trouble-shooting steps, and see if we can zero in on the problem.

First, please post the names of your browser and operating system. Then, try flushing your browser's cache and see if the problem persists.

If that doesn't work, please try downloading and installing a different browser, such as Firefox or Google Chrome, and see if the problem persists with those browsers. Then report your results in this thread.

These results will help us to determine if the problem is with the site, or if it's an issue with certain browsers only.

Thanks in advance.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I cannot post paragraphs anymore. It started a couple days ago and all my paragraphs get strung into one big one. I got a new computer and it worked fine for a few weeks, but all of a sudden, this happened and I'm not sure whether ti's the computer (maybe hit a button I don't know of) or whether it's the site. All my word documents are functioning fine, but I don't post on other forums.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I cannot post paragraphs anymore. It started a couple days ago and all my paragraphs get strung into one big one. I got a new computer and it worked fine for a few weeks, but all of a sudden, this happened and I'm not sure whether ti's the computer (maybe hit a button I don't know of) or whether it's the site. All my word documents are functioning fine, but I don't post on other forums.

Thanks for reporting this. Try going through the steps listed above, and post your results in this thread. That will help us to narrow in on the source of the problem.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I had the problem in Firefox. Will try flushing cache or changing browsers. It was fixed when I switched to the Basic Editor options in settings.

Jabrosky

Banned
I have Windows 8 as my operating system. I was using Firefox when I first reported the problem, but I see it persists even after switching to Google Chrome. Changing the editor settings (either to basic or standard) doesn't do anything, and neither does clearing the Firefox cache. This is very weird.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Today I have discovered that the Quick Reply box looks different to me.

I have lost the options to use colors, different styles of text and all of that. I am not sure whether I have lost the ability to post paragraphs too, so this post will be a test to see what happens. My settings are set to the Standard editor.

My system is OS X Lion and I use Opera 10.6.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Here's one possible theory:

Most of the static files on our server are mirrored across multiple servers located in different regions. This is part of a content delivery network (CDN), which is meant to assure that the site loads quickly throughout the world.

This could explain why some people are experiencing problems, while others are not. If some of the files became corrupted on certain mirror servers, but not others, then the problem would be limited to individuals in those geographic regions.

What I've done is purge all of the cached files on all of the mirrors, forcing the caches to be rebuilt on those servers.

Please try clearing the cache in your browser as of now, and let me know if the problem goes away... or not.

Jabrosky

Banned
Here's one possible theory:

Most of the static files on our server are mirrored across multiple servers located in different regions. This is part of a content delivery network (CDN), which is meant to assure that the site loads quickly throughout the world.

This could explain why some people are experiencing problems, while others are not. If some of the files became corrupted on certain mirror servers, but not others, then the problem would be limited to individuals in those geographic regions.

What I've done is purge all of the cached files on all of the mirrors, forcing the caches to be rebuilt on those servers.

Please try clearing the cache in your browser as of now, and let me know if the problem goes away... or not.
Sorry, but not only has it not solved the problem yet, the whole website's interface looks messed up now that I've cleared my cache.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Following up on the theory I posted above, I have found something interesting.

Thus far, everyone who has reported a problem is located on either the West Coast, the Southwest, or Mexico.

This leads me to believe that the problem may be connected with the Los Angeles CDN server.

Investigating...

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
For the sake of troubleshooting, I've temporarily disabled the CDN for the forums (but not the blog).

Please clear your cache again, and let me know if the problem persists, or is gone. This will help us to determine whether or not the CDN is the culprit.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Alright... I believe that the culprit has been identified.

An overly aggressive firewall on our server was blocking the CDN servers in certain cities from mirroring aspects of the site.

The firewall has been tweaked, and I believe that this issue has been rectified. The CDN has been turned back on.

Please flush your browser's cache, and let me know if the problem has been resolved in this thread.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Thank you, Black Dragon.

Everything is back to normal, I have the Quick Reply box just as it used to be. It's very impressive how you have identified the cause and fixed it so fast, all that stuff that you explained to us sounds quite complicated but we have a great Administrator.

Hugs! =)