• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

portfolios. Do not post work that may later be published????

JMFitton

Acolyte
Am I reading that right. On the portfolios section it says not to post work for future publication. Isn't that the point of most of it. I want to post samples of my work. Get feed back. Improve. Etc. All with future publication in mind. Should I not post this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Chilari

Staff
If you're looking to publish with traditional publishers or paying magazines, they will very likely have a clause that says that you can't have previously published the work elsewhere. Putting your story up on a site like this, where it can be viwed publically, counts as publishing it. So the advice is to protect you from losing out on a deal.

The portfolio is really for completed works that you do not intend to submit elsewhere, or which have been previously published and for which the exclusive clause has expired. It's for showing off what you can do. If you want feedback, the Showcase subforum is the place to go, rather than posting on portfolios. To access the Showcase, you need to have five posts in other parts of the forum and then to wait up to 24 hours for the system to recognise it.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I believe there's a setting you can change to specify who can view your portfolio. In most cases it should only affect publication rights if it's viewable by the general public and for instance, shows up in search engines. But please check your settings carefully before deciding whether to post work that's intended for other forms of publishing.

The portfolio is a great place to keep your writing samples. That's partly its intent. I don't have anything listed in the portfolio, but if I did, it would be a couple of short stories that I wanted to be available and link to in my signature. Then people who see my posts could have a writing sample if they wanted it.

It's not the place for critiques. The Showcase forum is for that purpose. The Showcase is great for a tricky scene or to help you get some early feedback on how you write.

But ultimately for a work of any significant length you need to join or put together a writing group and find beta readers. There's a forum for finding groups, but it's always kind of tricky going to find people you work well with.