• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Forum cache/header/something error

Nimue

Auror
Hey, is anyone else getting a forum error that prevents them from seeing anything? On my laptop, I'm getting the forum header, some strings of text at the top, and a page error. Clicking on notifications or logout gets me nowhere; I can't see the actual forum. In a private/logged out browser window, I don't even get the header, just black-on-white errors. I've tried clearing my browser cache and cookies already.

Sorry about the lack of specificity, I just shut down my computer and got on my phone--everything looks fine in the mobile version. Hope this is the right place to post this.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It's not just you - I've had the same problem this evening. It seems to have stopped.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Do you recall what the page error said?

Our content delivery network was having some issues on Wednesday, which may have been the culprit. I'm not detecting any server errors on our end. Has the problem gone away?

Nimue

Auror
Uhhh... So the text errors at the top of the page were some issue with the cache, I believe, and it listed some long path with "publichtml" in there somewhere, and then a line or "point" number, in the 300s or 400s.

The error listed on the forum page was something along the lines of "couldn't deliver header because cookies were already delivered".

Heh, that's all I got. Knew I should have gotten a screenshot!

Edit: Yes, the issues have gone away on my laptop browser

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
@BD, I tried sending you a PM about this, but I was unable to fill the "title" field, making it impossible to send a PM. What I tried to send was auto-saved. I didn't get a screenshot, but I did copy-paste the text which appeared at the top of the forum index page:
moved by Black Dragon for future reference
Below the text, everything looked normal, though you would get a white page full of similar text if you tried to read a post. I found a way to read posts by clicking the forum name, but even then I sometimes ended up with the odd cookie message Nimue mentioned if I refreshed a page.

Tom

Istar
I had this problem last night. At first I thought that my browser settings had been screwed up, but then I realized it was probably an issue with the site. Good to see everything's ship-shape again.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Also, it might be a good idea to ask your service provider to set php not to echo error messages to the screen. I can't remember the exact setting; been too long out of the game.

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
I was having the same problem, but not just on my computer but my work computer. I assumed it was the site or server at that point. Glad to see that things have cleared up.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Thanks for letting me know.

I did some investigating, and discovered that one of our server's settings was wrong. I believe that I have identified the issue, and it should be fixed now for the long term.

Tom

Istar
Something weird is going on with the homepage--the formatting isn't right. Instead of the usual Mythic Scribes format, it's blue text on a white background, with the articles as a list instead of as...what they usually are. Also, no pictures on the articles, no navigation bar, or the big "Mythic Scribes" header.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Something weird is going on with the homepage--the formatting isn't right. Instead of the usual Mythic Scribes format, it's blue text on a white background, with the articles as a list instead of as...what they usually are. Also, no pictures on the articles, no navigation bar, or the big "Mythic Scribes" header.

Best guess, you switched from "Mythic Style" to mobile. Look at the bottom of the main forum, in the middle you should see the words "Full Site." If I'm right that should get you back.

Reactions: Tom