• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Has the Forum's Tone Improved?

Has the Forum's Tone Improved?

• Yes, the atmosphere is more pleasant.

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • No, the hostility is as bad as ever.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I never thought that there was a problem in the first place

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Exactly one month ago several members expressed concern that the forum was taking on an increasingly snide or argumentative tone.

We took this concern very seriously, and took the following actions:

1) We instituted a tough new policy on argumentative or hostile behavior, which is explained here:

http://mythicscribes.com/forums/new...important-reporting-posts-improving-tone.html

2) We beefed up our moderation by appointing several new moderators.

3) We banned members who continued to fuel the problem.

In your estimation, have our efforts paid off? Has the tone of the forum improved? If not, what else would you like to see happen?

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Also, please be aware that this poll is anonymous. Please share your honest opinion.

If you answer requires further nuance, you can elaborate on it within this thread.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Let me preface this by saying that I never felt, personally, that there was much of a problem in terms of hostility or unfriendliness. That may be in part because I don't offend easily, and I like spirited or even antagonistic debate (I don't take it personally, and I always proceed under the assumption the other party doesn't either, unless they tell me otherwise).

That said, when the issue arose a month ago I tried to view it by standing in the shoes of others and seeing what the problem might be, and in that regard I think the issue has been resolved. There doesn't seem to be much that is rancorous or even contentious going on at the moment, whereas when the issue came up I can see where people might have felt differently.

This site continues to be an excellent one for fantasy writers, in my view.

Xanados

Maester
I've noticed a lot of moderators acting particularly friendly. I'm looking at you, Reaver. ;)

I will say that trying to restrict argumentative behavior is not something with which I entirely agree. I enjoy arguments. They are stimulating.

(I feel like I haven't properly avoided using the preposition 'with' at the end of that third sentence. Any help?)

But yes, the general atmosphere has greatly improved.

Last edited:

Sparkie

Auror
I feel like I'm seeing less instigative posts. Respect for the opinions and beliefs of others continues to be shown. I'd say that MS members as a group are doing well at avoiding disruptive behavior.

San Cidolfus

Troubadour
So I haven't been here all that long, but perhaps my opinion matters as fresh meat. Or three-day-old meat, at least. In my wanderings through this delightful site, I haven't encountered anything I'd call openly hostile. By no means have I explored every thread and inserted my ego into every discussion, but I'm a talented floater (take that how you will), and I feel that the discussions are being carried on in a largely mature fashion. When I found this thread on the negativity in the forum, I was rather puzzled, truth be told.

I came into this forum with no expectations, and now I look forward to dropping in every evening and seeing what's what with this fine group of ladies and fellows. This is entirely because of the quality of the denizens and the threads that are maintained. I've been made to feel welcome, and this includes goodwill from the moderators, one of whom actually managed to get me off my lazy behind and involved in the challenges. I feel motivated enough after coming here that I can log off and work on my own writing with a renewed sense of determination. Of course we all know that any one of us isn't the only struggling artist out there, but there's a difference between understand the concept intellectually and actually witnessing it. Scribes shows me that I'm not the only fool that defines himself by hammering his soul into the keyboard.

So to cut my gushing short, I think the Scribes is strong, and I will answer any rallying call to defend her. Fine, upstanding moral denizens will always win out over trolls because trolls lose interest, and true denizens never waver.

I'd salute the Sciptorium's flag, if there was one.

Personally I found that these reported moments of hostility were happening outside my experience of the Scribes, and so I was somewhat surprised when it became an issue. Life continues for me at this glorious gathering place much as it has always done in the few months I've been here, but with steps taken to preserve tolerance and cordiality that can only be a good thing.

I never had too much problem with the overall tone; mostly it was one or two particularly hostile people who were stirring up the pot. But others weren't responding with undue hostility, I don't think, and in any event the past month has been smooth sailing.

Amanita

Maester
I've not stumbled over anything unpleasant during the last few weeks, but I haven't been here much either. Too busy in real life. Checking back yesterday I've seen a few interesting threads though and I'm trying to catch up now. ;)
I'm avoiding political and religious subjects now though, because those often go out of hand and I'm not really here to discuss anything of this kind. Writing-related threads where real-life issues (such as the one with writing and drinking) started surfacing have been a problem in the past, but yesterday I've seen some of those which kept in very polite waters. Hope it stays that way. ;)