• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Moderator Appreciation Day! (regarding forum tone)

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I thought it best to start a new thread because my comments might be a tad disrespectful for the http://mythicscribes.com/forums/suggestions-feedback/2116-change-tone-forum.html
First of all, thank you to moderators for knowing how important this forum is to everyone. While I personally haven't seen/ experienced any nastiness on it, it is obvious several people have.

I'm glad the problem is taken so seriously, and nipped in the bud, because that sort of forum nastiness is just the thing which turns an unparallelled resource like Mythicscribes into a disorderly free-for-all for self-important idiots to ruin the fun for everyone else. I agree; nastiness cannot be tolerated, and since I have run across none here, I can only call it a testament to your vigilance.

With regard to the TYPE of nastiness people say was occurring....... We all come here to TALK to other people, to share ideas and learn from fellow researchers, writers, readers, and friends. If it's true there was grammar nit-picking, and the like; well, I just don't know how people can be so petty on a FORUM. While I am admittedly a grammar-B****, nazi, (insert derogatory term here), this is a place we may speak in the common tongue without having to edit the crap out of what we write. I am guilty of posting before proofreading, and I am not the only one. As a result, we have typos, misspellings, and grammar fails, but most of the great people here look the other way (or if the typo is funny, have a little chuckle and move on). In all my dealings with people here, no one has been other than polite and respectful, and I do hope the consensus is that it has returned to such after what appears to be a temporary invasion of our bouncy castle by a drunk old vagrant who thought he could take up residence (I mean that completely figuratively, of course, as I have no idea who the offenders were). Well the moderators have thrown him out and cleared the smell, and I say Yay! Bounce on, my friends.

Last edited:

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Sorry, I have more to say and I don't feel right posting it on the poll thread.

This is a difficult job, to write stories, and I can only speak for myself, but the support I have received, and confidence I've gained from the people on this forum has inspired me to challenge myself and take risks that I never would have taken. (I even just sent out a manuscript to a potential agent, just to test the water.)

For those of us who have never given a thought to being "good" writers, this site offers a chance to grow individually and to join a colorful assortment of characters who have created a community where regardless of one's abilities, they are treated with respect and dignity. Opposing opinions and disagreements are natural, and I wouldn't feel comfortable in a world where the sun was constantly shining and birds were always singing; but there is a notable difference between debating a point or playing devil's advocate; and being disrespectful and unkind to someone.
Sure, there have been some proposed plot twists posted that have made me throw up in my mouth a little, but I would NEVER EVER consider posting anything other than encouragement and constructive help to someone.

HOWEVER; hateful people have as much right to be heard as those of us who can play nice, and so I propose a sister site be opened where people can judge others based on their typos, grammar, inexperience, age, or their work they have willingly shared with us all. My only conflict was whether to call the new site Mythicjudges.com (as this confers some amount of inherent authority to judge others) or Mythica$$holes.com (which I thought worked better on several levels). please tell me you are smiling with me at this point

I love this site and everyone I've met here. Thank you all for your words of encouragement and the ways you challenge me to improve myself.

Last edited:

JCFarnham

Auror
If someone can't be something as simple as respectful, should they be heard? I don't think there is ever a place for hatefullness.

... Where people can judge others based on their typos, grammar, inexperience, age ...

I'd like to think that here at Mythic Scribes all criticism is constructive, just as it should be, and that includes the spotting of typos and help sorting out grammar issues. Inexperience and age however.. should that be specifically picked on rather than helping the individual to grow as a writer? Don't misunderstand. I'm just trying to get a better feeling for what you're saying.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
It was an admittedly obnoxious joke, hence the proposed names for the "site". It was my way of saying no one should be judging others, it's a nasty way to act and not community-building.
I have edited the post with italicized lettering so hopefully it is obvious now.

Last edited:
On the topic of the thread name... Thanks to all the mods who have made this such a great site. Phil, Ravanna, Sidekick, JC, Reaver, Myrrdin, and everybody I'm forgetting... and especially Tony, thanks for the site and all the help and guidance you've provided.

Sparkie

Auror
It's been awhile since this thread has seen some use, but I want to bring it back to once again state how glad I am that we have such good moderators on this site. Just today there were some discussions started that may have caused some problems, but Sheilawisz, Steerpike, Devor, and I'm sure others as well were right there to handle the situation properly and without making a lot of waves.

Thanks again for all you do, Mods. You make this site a great place to be!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Thanks again for all you do, Mods. You make this site a great place to be!
In fact you do it so discretely, I sometimes forget what you actually do.:D
What I appreciate is that the tone of the forum is consistent. The posts [about the writing] I have seen have been and universally constructive even [or rather especially] when it leads to passionate debates.
We have teenage and [ahem] mature members, newbies and well established authors, the nervous and the confident, experts and novices; yet all seem to find a home.
And now I think its time for a...:grouphug:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Thank you very much, Sparkie and Joe =)

I believe that Mythic Scribes can have a positive impact on the lives of Fantasy writers from all parts of the world, I love this community and that's why I do my best to help and keep this place healthy and growing.

Thanks as well to all our helpful and valuable members of Mythic Scribes, you are great!!

Sherman

Scribe
I am pretty new here--but yes I appreciate the mods. Moderating is often a thankless job. I am a super mod on a debate forum.