• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A possible idea...

Saigonnus

Auror
I think perhaps we should institute alerts on your profile when a comment or post gets deleted by either the thread starter or moderator. It is somewhat difficult to keep track of which posts you have commented on (at least it is for me) especially if it was a month ago and it would be nice to have something telling you that someone deleted your post/comment. (perhaps a general "YOUR POST/COMMENT WAS REMOVED BY THE MODERATOR OR THREAD STARTER" would be okay, and maybe even a little blurb of WHY said post was deleted (unhelpful/disliked the post/violates terms of service etc.).

Imagine spending a while thinking of a suitable and informative comment on something and instead of them telling you in the post that they don't like your idea, they simply delete it... you have no idea and go back to check the next day or whenever and can't find it and don't have a clue what happened. At the least it would tell you it was deleted and you can move on without wondering why or whether you perhaps offended them.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Only moderators can delete posts from a thread. The thread starter can't do that.

Posts are very rarely deleted here. Informative and substantive posts are never deleted.

On the rare occasion that a post is deleted, the reason for the deletion is obvious.

If you're referring to an off-color joke disappearing from the jokes thread, that's because it wasn't in keeping with our family-friendly rule. There's a post from a moderator in that thread that reminds people about the necessity of keeping the jokes clean.

Saigonnus

Auror
I know why the joke thread was deleted... I was fine with that, the only thing I didn't like was the lack of courtesy by not at least giving me the chance to edit it before it got deleted. I was referring to a couple in recent weeks that I posted on various threads and can't find them; so I assume they got deleted and thought perhaps the thread starter had that power too. I still think it would be a good idea to at least be given an alert when your posts get deleted.

Taro

Minstrel
i can see the reason behind both ideas of not having it and having it. if your post id way off topic or doesn't meet requirements then i can see why they would just delete it, if you wanted to edit i would think why post something like that in the first place. but on the other hand, it would be handy to have a message saying your post deleted because of ....

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I know why the joke thread was deleted... I was fine with that, the only thing I didn't like was the lack of courtesy by not at least giving me the chance to edit it before it got deleted.

If something needs to be removed for violating our terms of service, we take action by deleting it immediately. Otherwise it gets out there, and is indexed by search engines, the Internet Archive, etc.

I was referring to a couple in recent weeks that I posted on various threads and can't find them; so I assume they got deleted and thought perhaps the thread starter had that power too.

I just reviewed our moderation logs for the past six months. Only one of your posts has ever been deleted, and that's the joke in question.

I still think it would be a good idea to at least be given an alert when your posts get deleted.

When a post needs to be deleted, it's our standard practice to issue an infraction, which is a strike against the member for violating our terms. Members are notified whenever they receive an infraction, so they know exactly why they are being penalized.

The fact that you did not receive an infraction was a courtesy to you. Nor was it deemed necessary to message you about it because, frankly, we didn't want to make a big deal over it.

Be assured that, in the majority of cases, when posts are deleted the member is immediately hit with an infraction.

If something needs to be removed for violating our terms of service, we take action by deleting it immediately. Otherwise it gets out there, and is indexed by search engines, the Internet Archive, etc.

When a post needs to be deleted, it's our standard practice to issue an infraction, which is a strike against the member for violating our terms. Members are notified whenever they receive an infraction, so they know exactly why they are being penalized.

Glad to know that this exists and that the member is made aware of the infraction. Thank you!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Must be my internet then, thanks for that.

You can find your old posts from the "Find Latest Posts" button on your Profile, and a green checkmark should also appear to the right of threads you've posted in.