• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy races library

Delem

Acolyte
Warm greeting to all,

what do you think of having a place (like a library) where articles of fantasy races will be collected? I guess it can help a lot of people creating their own visions on a certain race based on some other's description. Like, elves of Tolkien, elves of World of War-craft and so on? Sort of encyclopedia here.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver

Subcreator

Minstrel
I tend to find them through articles like the ones that have already been linked to, as well as specific Wikipedia pages for different races. For World of Warcraft-specific races, I just look them up on Wowwiki.com.

Myshkin

Closed Account
The Monstropedia at Monstropedia has been useful for me. The site isn't the best designed but they've briefly cover a lot of categories of creatures that you can then do more research on once you've found a critter with potential.

North American Mythical Creatures is also interesting because you get to see a lot of mythical creatures not in found in modern writing or in movies. It's great if you trying to create a critter that doesn't follow popular expectations, like vampires and werewolves.

Don't know about any mythical creature libraries, but there's a guide to the characters of the DC universe at my library that gives you all their facts and stats. Quite useful for thinking of different characters.