• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Possible Profile Additions?

ccrogers3d

Scribe
I see Instant Messaging on the Profile options but I don't see Facebook, Twitter or our personal websites.

Am I missing these or are they not there? If they're not there, is there any chance we could add them?

Butterfly

Auror
Why not add them as links in your signature line? That way everyone will see them if they really want to read them.

Last edited:

ccrogers3d

Scribe
A) Because the Forum Guidelines say we should only include one link in our signature.
B) Because what I want most is being able to tell if other people are on Twitter or Facebook.
C) Because having them in the profile would put them in the same place for everyone, i.e. improved usability.

Chime85

Sage
I see where you're coming from, but there are issues to this. By leaving your facebook link open for the world to see, you run the risk of, well, having it for the world to see. Anybody (ie: non members) who happens upon this site would be able to click the link and see whatever information you have left there.

Don't get me wrong, if someone asks, I often dont have a problem with it. But, I wouldnt want people looking at my facebook without me knowing who they are in return.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The profile system is pretty light right now and I don't think it gets much use. It's a little strange for a system nowadays to list ICQ but not Facebook or Twitter.

It's my understanding that there's software limitations, but I'm not sure how far that goes. In the meantime, what else would you want to see listed?

ccrogers3d

Scribe
By leaving your facebook link open for the world to see, you run the risk of, well, having it for the world to see. Anybody (ie: non members) who happens upon this site would be able to click the link and see whatever information you have left there.
First, I want to emphasize that providing this link would be completely optional.

Second, as a software professional, I feel I need to emphasize that you can't rely on link obscurity for online privacy. If you have things posted to Facebook that you want to keep private, you need to manage your privacy settings.

Personally, I maintain a Facebook "Page." This is the kind of thing that companies use. I would link to that, not my personal profile.