• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is this just Fantasy?

I was wondering, I know this is mostly a forum for Fantasy writers, but I write all different types of Genres. And I like the people on this forum, I like their feedback and attitude.

So I was just wondering whether it's okay to post things that are other Genres, like Crime, Romance. I know Horror is kind of fantasy in some ways. But I just thought I'd ask first.

Cheers
x

Saigonnus

Auror
I vaguely remember asking if science fiction (since I tend after more than one genre myself) is okay and apparently it's fine... not sure about the rest; especially the crime or romance.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'm fine with reading and responding to any of it, and the writing principles are going to be generally-applicable across genres. I do think the focus of the site should be directed to Fantasy (Black Dragon can correct me if I'm wrong), and so while the occasional question regarding other genres from established members would probably be fine, I wouldn't want to see other genres like Romance established as a regular genre of discussion.

Of course, issues of romance, crime, horror, and the like all crop up in the context of fantasy works, and in that context such discussion are certainly OK.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
While our primary focus is fantasy, it's not our exclusive focus. Most of us write in numerous genres.

Anyone who wants to discuss writing is welcome here, whether or not they write fantasy.

When it comes to sharing work in the Showcase, however, it makes sense for us to keep the scope of genres somewhat limited. Stories that are posted there should fall under the general banner of "speculative fiction," which includes fantasy, Sci-fi, horror, and paranormal romance, among others.

Caught in a landslide

no escape from reality

open your eyes

look up to the skies and seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm just a poor boy.

I need no sympathy

Because i'm easy come

Easy go

Little high

Little low

any way the wind blows

doesn't really matter

to me

toooooo meeeeeee
Great, now I have Bohemian Rhapsody on my mind. Five cents that my girl friend is gonna kill me later today screaming "Stop the bloody humming." :D

I don't mind other genres btw. :)

SeverinR

Vala
Caught in a landslide

no escape from reality

open your eyes

look up to the skies and seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm just a poor boy.

I need no sympathy

Because i'm easy come

Easy go

Little high

Little low

any way the wind blows

doesn't really matter

to me

toooooo meeeeeee

That was my first thought from the title...we're thinking alike....One of should be afraid/VERY afraid!

On topic:
Warning, if you write something we don't like we always have the option of sending a dragon to your door, or maybe the giant one eyed troll to knock down...I mean knock on your door. If you aren't afraid, please continue to post. You might be able to produce a firearm but I think the giant dragon or troll would only be annoyed by your noise maker.

Seriously, as long as it pertains to the subject(this one is "writing questions") it shouldn't be much of a problem.
Ah dang, they told me that dragon was litter trained....I've got to go.

Last edited: