• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Suggest Topics for Upcoming Blog Tour

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Hey guys,

To go along with the release of The Mythic Guide to Characters, I'm organizing a "blog tour" for the summer months. I'll be writing guests posts for 10-15 of the most popular writing blogs out there.

This will bring a lot of attention to the guide, but it will also raise awareness of Mythic Scribes, potentially bringing us thousands of new readers/members. I'm still in the process of finalizing the dates and participating sites, but I can say that the audience will be huge.

I can use some help in choosing the topics for the 10-15 articles that I will be writing. So tell me... what writing-related topics would you like to see me cover?

Sparkie

Auror
Having read The Mythic Guide to Characters (which is an excellent read, by the way), I'm not sure if you'd prefer to center your articles around the subject of character creation or not. I'll stick to topics outside of writing characters. I'd like to get your thoughts on:

The Fantasy genre being an important part of the literary experience

Which books/authors use the idea of magic in the best ways, and why

Is mainstream Fantasy too Eurocentric?

Use of metaphor in Fantasy writing

The editing process in general

Hope this helps!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
This sounds wonderful, now we have to be ready for the potential arrival of many new members to our community!!

The writing-related topic that I can suggest would be Is self-publishing really the future of literature? and another topic, related to Fantasy in particular, would be Why Fantasy stories try to be Realistic.

You have my best wishes for your Blog Tour, Black Dragon. I know that you will do great =)

ALB2012

Maester
Good topics suggested above:)

Where does Fantasy diverge from Sci Fi?

Mythology within Fantasy

The most influential fantasy from our time.

Classical fantasy/fable and its place today.

Sorry been a long day, not very coherent.

Breezybealle

Dreamer
I've always wondered how to differentiate between paranormal and fantasy... that may sound like a silly question to some, but there are so many similar aspects in a lot of the more modern stories out there. A lot of mine include both. So how do I decide which label fits?

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Thanks everyone! These are great topics. I'd love to hear some more.

Non-fantasy writing topics are especially welcome, as none of these blogs are focused on fantasy.

ALB2012

Maester
How to pick names?

Worldbuilding dos and don'ts.

How to categorise a genre. (Don't ask me, every time I look there is a new abbreviation and I think what the hell is that one.)

Are the rules for genres region specific - example is YA in the USA categorised the same as YA in the UK and Europe.

How to deal with reviews.

Are reviews for readers or authors.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Can you elaborate on this topic a bit? The title intrigues me, but I'm not sure what it entails.

Honestly? No idea.

I guess it would be about finding ways to build a great community and to encourage collaboration among authors. Maybe include some good ways to approach other authors online and find out more about the industry. You could maybe talk about where you would want Mythic Scribes to be in a few years, or talk about the reasons you think the community is so strong. That kind of thing.

I hope that helps. Will you be posting links to the articles you write?

Last edited:

Xaysai

Inkling
I know we see bits and pieces of the following in the various forums around here, but I would love to see detailed blogs on the following:

1) A thorough write-up of writing tools (Scrivener, Grammarly, etc.)

2) A thorough write-up of writing resources (Author websites, how-to's, etc.)

3) Writing Process: pre-work, outlines, research, etc.

4) Article submission: places to submit, short story submission do's and don'ts, etc.

5) Technical Writing: POV, Active vs. Passive Sentences, Adverb (over)usage, Dialogue, etc.

6) Writing Theory: Tropes, planning character arcs/progressions, key elements (love interests, plot twists, etc.), character differentiation, First sentence/story opening "hook", building suspense, etc.

7) Publishing process: Finding beta readers, finding editors, novel submission, self publishing (plus self pub vs traditional pub pros and cons), book covers/art, etc.

8) Advertising: Website creation, Social media usage, building your "brand", getting your name out there, etc.

Just my 2 cents.