• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Chat Function Gone?

This happened to me 2 days ago, and I don't see the perennial -- people here box on the bottom right of the page. Before that, I had it for 3 days running, and before that, I didn't have it for almost 2 weeks.

So is there some limit I'm not aware of, or is there a genuine problem here?

(I use chrome, Win7, and when I tried it with firefox, it didn't work either. I tried clearing the cache and cookies, and that didn't work either.)

Chilari

Staff
It is still operational; I was using it this morning (Firefox, Windows 7). However I've never been able to get it on IE at work. I suspect the company's webpage blocking policies have something to do with that, otherwise it's IE. Are you accessing the page from somewhere the function might be blocked like I am?

I don't think so, my Chrome is always on the same settings, and if the chat worked for some time on them, it should keep working. Nothing is being blocked, as far as I know. I have the same routine, and there isn't anything that could have disturbed the chat function. :confused: What could be wrong? Does the server not follow India that well or something (as stupid as that sounds)?

EDIT: Out of desperation, I tried Internet Explorer. As expected, it didn't work. Oh well... I'll download Opera then... but then again.

Last edited:
Very occaisonally, when my broadband is at its slowest, it takes such a long time that it seems like it can't be bothered loading it. Maybe its one of those things where if you leave it for 10 minutes it eventually shows up :).

Grimmlore

Minstrel
im on IE and it works for me. have you checked your firewall settings? it might be considered a pop up if you have that disabled? also check your setting on the sight itself.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I just checked the chat server, and everything is up and running 100%. I'm not sure why you are having a problem.

Nihal

Vala
Usually this problem is a cookie problem, so you just have to clear them and it's gone. The quickest way to test it is to open an incognito window (CTRL+Shift+N), for they are naturally cookie and cache-less.

However, you said you tried with IE. So, beside opening an incognito window you can also try to verify another thing... Some time ago my chat was terrible. It was a weekend and it was half-broken, the ones in tabs already up worked, but I couldn't close them, because any new tab didn't load the chat. The chat server was refusing to return anything, maybe the link between it and where I live gone bad, for it worked for another people. I only know that in this case you can do nothing but waiting. Still, it's good to verify so you discover what's happening.

My way to verify:

Using google chrome, in one tab with MS open, press F12. It'll bring up a window, and I want you to click on "Network". Now press CTRL+R. The window will reload, click on "Name/Path" on the window you opened with F12 and CTRL+F. Type "from", hit enter.

I want you to look at the edgesomething.envolve.com, it's the chat server.

You can take a screenshot if you want, or tell me if it's showing anything failed, is pending, 403, 404, or if in "Time/Latency" any waiting time from them is absurd—something over 25s.

14b6z3k.jpg

I got something like env.nocache.js (below- d.envolve.com) written all in red. Status- failed. Type- pending.
Size- 13 bytes. Latency- 21.26 seconds.

Does not look good, I have to say, but at least I see something wrong. Thanks, Nihal.

I searched for 'from' and didn't see anything, I guess it only comes when it's working.

Any steps as to what to do now?

I appreciate all the input, people. Thanks, guys.

Nihal

Vala
Yeah... It's the same thing that happened to me the other day, I could only get the js and it failed, never making the later contact (those 'from' files are the chat, the js starts the contact necessary to "start" the chat). There isn't much you can do beside waiting, for the server is being nitpick with you. The only other thing I can think is contacting and informing them about the problem.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Have you tried a different computer at the same location? That would help us to narrow in on where the problem lies.

Right now I'm guessing that there's an interruption on the internet somewhere between the location of the chat server and where you are living.

I think you guess right, BD. I do have a laptop, but it works on the WiFi of the LAN connection I use on the desktop. Nevertheless, I tried it, and it didn't work, as it shouldn't, being the same network, right?

I don't think I can use another computer right now, because I'm really stretched for time, I'm not that close with my neighbours, and my friends live far away... I'll see what I can do. But I think you're right.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I got it back 2-3 days ago, but now it's gone again. Envolve is seriously getting on my nerves.

The problem isn't on Envolve's end, as it's been up and running continuously. We've been monitoring it carefully.

Something is blocking you from reaching the chat server, but Envolve has no control over that. Your ISP may have a firewall in place that is periodically causing these issues.

Okay, it's back now and there's no need to fret anymore. Out of desperation, I restarted the modem, and guess what, it worked. Painfully simple, and I'm sorry if I've caused you any needless trouble. Thanks again!