• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is the forum a bit crazy today?

Nihal

Vala
I'm not sure if it's my connection fault (it's a bit unreliable today) or if the forum went crazy.

At first, I noticed my Activity Stream was a bit strange. It usually shows a div warning new posts were made–New Activity (number)–, you click it and they appear. Now it randomly reveals them without clicking: The div flicks there for a second and they just appear on their own. A bit troubling when you're lazy like me and forgets the tab open...

Then, when I started to write a reply on the quick reply tab and switched to advanced mode had my reply wiped out. It seems that using an em dash, yes, a "–" and navigating to any page that previews your post (using the advanced mode or using the preview button) triggered this bug. So, any non-standard character, e.g. – — ç, is now, messing everything. You can always go back and copy your message, however, it's annoying.

Oh, and when you edit a post and click on "Save" it gets stuck and saves forever. Refreshing the page reveals that the changes are already in place.

Anyone else is experiencing these bugs?

Bonus.
By the way, there is an old bug with the forum (and google chrome) where if you drag the reply box's border all the way down until it reaches its limit the border becomes bugged and you can't shrink the textarea or anything. If you click on it the window rolls up automatically, making impossible to drag anything. (I can always manually change the height using the browser's dev tools, but that's not the point, heh)

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
We've been doing software upgrades throughout the day, which explains some of these observations.

I noticed my Activity Stream was a bit strange. It usually shows a div warning new posts were made—New Activity (number)—, you click it and they appear. Now it randomly reveals them without clicking: The div flicks there for a second and they just appear on their own.

That's actually a feature in the new version of vBulletin that we just upgraded to. The Activity Stream now refreshes itself periodically. It's described as "Dynamic population of new content."

It seems that using an em dash, yes, a "—" and navigating to any page that previews your post (using the advanced mode or using the preview button) triggered this bug.

I just tested this, and can't duplicate the bug. It seems to be working fine with Firefox. This could be a browser specific issue.

When you edit a post and click on "Save" it gets stuck and saves forever. Refreshing the page reveals that the changes are already in place.

This was a side-effect of the software upgrades. It should be fixed now. Test it out and let me know.

By the way, there is an old bug with the forum (and google chrome) where if you drag the reply box's border all the way down until it reaches its limit the border becomes bugged and you can't shrink the textarea or anything.

That must be an issue specific to Google chrome.

Nihal

Vala
Oh, I see. The disappearing message bug is gone after the crash (manutention, update?) last night.

Hm, I'm not sure if I really appreciate the Activity Stream revealing the posts on its own. Technically it was dynamic in the previous version, it just didn't display anything until it was ordered to.

--
The textarea bug has been around since forever, or since I've joined at least. Yep, probably it's browser-related and triggered by some slightly defective javascript code. What is a bit troublesome is that Chrome tends to implement the web standards first, so, unless it's a Chrome bug, sooner or later this bug will affect other browsers too.