• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Cartography Forum/Sub-Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
It seems like people really take to showing off their maps in the cartography thread in the world-building forum, and it has evolved from a simple map showcase to a discussion on cartography software, techniques, and feedback. There was also a bit of interest in an AutoRealm thread a while back too. I know there is the Cartographer's Guild (which is really cool) for further exploration, but the amount of talented cartographers over there is intimidating, and I'm sure users here would appreciate the comforts of the Mythic Scribes forums, where we might feel more open, relaxed, and confident about posting our work.

Is it reasonable to suggest a cartography forum (or sub-forum) where people can showcase maps, gather feedback, post tutorials, et cetera?

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Actually, the problem with a general artwork forum is that specific tutorials and discussions would be lost easily (providing there is a healthy amount of activity). Sub-forums would help, but the problem with having multiple sub-forums is that even with a decent level of activity it will still seem empty...

Or perhaps the mods could compile links to tutorials and sticky helpful discussions? Perhaps a weekly run-down thread that showcases members work, compiles tutorials and useful threads, and more. That sounds cool...

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I don't know if there would be enough posts to warrant a thread just on mapmaking.

On the other hand, someone could reach out to the Cartographer's Guild website and see about forming some kind of partnership. They might have people who'd be glad to help out when worlds go in need of a map.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
On the other hand, someone could reach out to the Cartographer's Guild website and see about forming some kind of partnership. They might have people who'd be glad to help out when worlds go in need of a map.

Or just sign up at the Cartographer's Guild, since they cover that anyway. The point is, since it's quite a big part of fantasy world-building, why not support cartography discussion here? The community is smaller here, and is comprised of writers primarily (rather than cartographers), so it is likely to be a more comfortable atmosphere for beginners and dabblers to share work.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It's just, in my opinion that seems to be happening here about as much as it's going to. I don't think a new forum will get many posts at all, and that wouldn't be good for the community.

On the other hand, if you invited the Cartographer's Guild for some kind of paired activity, it could drive the discussion forward quite a bit more than an extra dead forum.

((edit))

That may have sounded stronger than I meant it to. I've mentioned elsewhere that we're missing a place to share artwork which we find inspiring, I just don't think it should be a new forum.

Last edited:

Telcontar

Staff
I'd encourage it to be a general artwork forum. In a sticky at the top we can encourage people to use proper tagging to seperate maps from other artwork. We shouldn't be trying to rival the Cartographer's Guild in any of this stuff, anyway - let's face it, they have a lock on the whole mapping thing. Our forum's purpose should be to provide a place where, as hinted above, the standards (and excpectations) are a wee bit lower...

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Plug it in under "Showcase" as a subforum, maybe? Seems about the right place for it.

This, maybe, if it's an 'artwork' forum. World-building if it's a 'cartography' forum.

We shouldn't be trying to rival the Cartographer's Guild in any of this stuff, anyway - let's face it, they have a lock on the whole mapping thing. Our forum's purpose should be to provide a place where, as hinted above, the standards (and excpectations) are a wee bit lower...

And yes, I agree completely. A more relaxed, less serious approach would be better.

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
How about a "concept art" subcategory in the showcase? Cause, well, that's what they'd be. I'd look forward to posting more than just maps. Orrr... I remember when I'd scour around on deviant art... Why not utilize the entirety of Mythic Scribes? Why not add another webpage (look above; you'll see Home, Forum, About, etc.)? There, members can have artwork showcases as well. I know the individual profiles have an area where you can upload photos, but I believe they're limited to file size and whatnot.

I think this could possibly open up a new area for fantasy lovers. The ultimate end result: a mini social networking site, for fantasy lovers. Well, I don't know about that last part, haha.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Codey Amprim said:
Why not add another webpage (look above; you'll see Home, Forum, About, etc.)? There, members can have artwork showcases as well.

The ultimate end result: a mini social networking site, for fantasy lovers.

I'm liking this idea a lot.

So... what do you guys think of us adding an art gallery, with a specific section for maps?

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Why not add another webpage (look above; you'll see Home, Forum, About, etc.)? There, members can have artwork showcases as well.

The ultimate end result: a mini social networking site, for fantasy lovers.

It's a good idea... but will it be see much use if it's not a part of the forum? Groups would have been useful for this, but there's no interest in them. Articles are slow to be updated, and slow to amass comments (in comparison to threads), and 'resources' is largely neglected.

We already have a potential 'mini social-networking site' in profiles, but do profiles see much action?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Wouldn't it be weird to have a showcase gallery for artwork before the site is capable of hosting full-length stories? I think it would be cool if the site would let us feature our work and connect it to our profiles, as well as a main showcase page.

My only concern was with creating another forum. In my experience the more forums you have on a website, the thinner you spread out the community. But if you can create features to support the forums, or find ways to expand what happens in each forum in a way that makes sense, you can strengthen the community instead of wearing it down. So showcasing maps elsewhere on the site, or as part of the World Building forum (via a sticky with links to every map), or some other mechanism, would be pretty cool in my book.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Wouldn't it be weird to have a showcase gallery for artwork before the site is capable of hosting full-length stories? I think it would be cool if the site would let us feature our work and connect it to our profiles, as well as a main showcase page.

My only concern was with creating another forum. In my experience the more forums you have on a website, the thinner you spread out the community. But if you can create features to support the forums, or find ways to expand what happens in each forum in a way that makes sense, you can strengthen the community instead of wearing it down. So showcasing maps elsewhere on the site, or as part of the World Building forum (via a sticky with links to every map), or some other mechanism, would be pretty cool in my book.

I generally agree with you. The forum is spread thin as it is, and the website (on a whole) is pretty much a forum with some under-used extras. If groups weren't so neglected, then it'd be a decent solution... but even then, it's probably too much hassle to join a group just to show off a map, for most people. I think a sticked post is a good idea for a very specific purpose (showcasing art), but it wouldn't really achieve anything else this thread has discussed, that the cartography thread has not, unless a moderator could put a lot of effort into updating it often, and separate discussions could be kept organised and easy-to-follow, in one thread (although, useful discussions could be linked from the sticky I guess).

It's a tricky one, this.

Status
Not open for further replies.