• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Your Ideas for our Home Page

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Hey Gang,

It's been so much fun getting to know each of you over the past four months. You are a thoughtful, insightful group of individuals, and have helped this site to become a wonderful place.

It has always been our vision for Mythic Scribes to be a community of writers. In this spirit, we would like to hear your ideas for articles to feature on our home page.

It is our goal for the home page to include article and reviews of interest to the fantasy writing community. We would love your feedback on the types of articles that would really interest you, and keep you coming back for more. Please use this thread to share your ideas with us.

Also, I want to clear up any possible misconceptions as to what the home page is or is not. It's not a personal blog or soap box for any one person. Rather, it's intended to be a place where we highlight some of the best articles on fantasy writing from our own community.

In other words, we want to invite each one of you to write for our home page. We can't guarantee that we will publish everything that is submitted. But if it's high quality, original and on topic, we want to publish it. This includes reviews of fantasy books, films and games. See our submission guidelines for more info on this. We recommend contacting us with your idea before actually writing anything.

On a related note, we have a possible guides project in the works. Please see that thread for info.

So... what would you like to see?

Amanita

Maester
For reasons mentioned in the other thread, I won't be able to make any contribution but generally, I'm interested in all kinds of fantasy-related subjects. Something that doesn't interest me are news articles on various films, books etc. at least not too many of those. Another forum I know has "news" on every little thing about some movie, actor, author, book etc. and it's extremely boring to me.
All in all, I do like good articles on interesting subjects but I'm more interested in the forum. Sharing ideas and getting or giving feedback to them is the thing I like most about this place. Everyone sitting at home writing articles by themselves instead wouldn't exactly be my dream vision of the forum's future, but I'm sure that's not what is intended.

I'm pretty much the opposite. I like news on popular fantasy film releases or books. I think their release dates should be shown, as well as a few words from the author or actors, and maybe a couple of spoilers etc.

I've got a limited interest in movies or games or podcasts (blame my age). I'm more interested in the process of writing, in how individuals assemble their stories, their influences, the things they're willing to copy, the things they avoid. More articles from an individual perspective would be welcome, at least to me.

Ravana

Istar
I'm with Amanita and Dusk: it's the writing I'm interested in. Good reviews of books are nice, since those are sometimes difficult to find; movies and TV… meh. If I'm interested, I can find reviews of those numerous places–as well as finding trailers on YouTube. Can't do that with books.

Actual analytical discussion of literature is something I might like to see more of: the best way to learn how to write is by reading others' works, then taking them apart and seeing what makes them tick. So if I have a desideratum, I guess that would be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good reviews of books are nice, since those are sometimes difficult to find; movies and TV… meh. If I'm interested, I can find reviews of those numerous places—as well as finding trailers on YouTube. Can't do that with books.
I've never had any more trouble finding a review of a book than I have finding one of a film, granted movie reviews are abundant but there are still plenty of book reviews out there online.