• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Your Thoughts on Possible Guides Project

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
As I mentioned in the thread on home page ideas, we are looking for your input on what sorts of articles to feature on our home page.

There is one more idea that I would like to bounce off of you guys. One of our goals is for Mythic Scribes to become a valuable resource for fantasy writers. As such, we are considering creating in-depth guides on specific aspects of fantasy writing. Here's how we would approach this:

Topics such as magic systems, characterization, city creation, etc. would be explored over a series of 5-10 home page articles, each post written by a different person. Each series would extend over several weeks. Once each article in the series has run, we would then organize them into a "guide" which would be freely available on the site. The guide wouldn't be a single document per se. Rather, it would be a page with each article in the series listed in order, along with descriptions and an introduction. Think of it as a table of contents with hypertext linking to each article.

For something like this to work, we would need a lot of participation from the community. We would also need 2-3 members to step up and serve as editors for this project. Here are my questions related to this:

1. Would producing these guides be worthwhile? In other words, would they be a valuable resource that would benefit the broader fantasy writing community?

2. Would you be interested in being involved in a project such as this? If so, would you be willing to sign up to contribute an article every other month or so?

Please share your thoughts on this possibility. We will decide whether to proceed based on your reactions in this thread.

Ravana

Istar
Depending on the details, I would be willing to contribute, and probably to edit. As to the merits of the product, I suspect that would depend heavily upon the details as well.

Some questions to start you off with:
(1) How long is an "article"?
(2) Will everybody who contributes to a given series be writing on exactly the same topic (to demonstrate different approaches), on approximately the same topic (to demonstrate that there are possible different approaches), or on different aspects of the same topic?
(3) What level of control/influence do you anticipate the editors needing to exercise? (For instance, if an article is heavily duplicative or previous ones, or largely lacking in original content, does it get rejected?)

Amanita

Maester
1. Would producing these guides be worthwhile? In other words, would they be a valuable resource that would benefit the broader fantasy writing community?
Yes, I definitely think so. I've often looked for stuff like that but have found very little that has really satisfied me. Most of the stuff that is around, doesn't help me much anyway, because I don't have a medieval fantasy world and therefore don't need to know what life has been like back then. (Which often doesn't have much to do with the real Middle Ages anyway.)
Putting this problem aside, I could definitly see an audience for good information on various fantasy topics.

2. Would you be interested in being involved in a project such as this? If so, would you be willing to sign up to contribute an article every other month or so?
In theory, I'm interested but I'm afraid, I won't be able to do much. University is keeping me extremely busy at the moment and I probably won't have the time and energy to try and produce high-quality articles in flawless English next to everything else I have to do. (And want to in case of my own writing.)

This sounds awesome. If you want help article writing or editing, let me know, I'd love to help. There is so many good ideas out there, maybe an article could be pieces from multiple people? I have enjoyed books on writing that include many differing voices, and that would mean that you only need small bits from various people, and one editor/writer for the piece to bring it together into a coherent article. People with less time on their hands can spin out a thoughtful paragraph or two, and someone with more time can bring it together into a whole article. We'd need pretty specific guide lines, and a topic that was offered so we're all working on the same thing at the same time, but larger groups of us and a wider range of voice and experience could be presented. Maybe present one topic at a time, one a month or something, get feedback from all via email or some such, then hand to a volunteer editor to write the article itself, choose the paragraphs to use in it from all the others, and pretty it up into a final piece? This kind of seems like what you have in mind, and it sounds fun.

I definitely think so. Although this may not be everyone's thing, a good number of people will benefit from it in my opinion. For example, I (as I've said in another thread) have a minute amount of knowledge on politics and so I'd likely read through some articles on here about how some relevant fantasy-styled governments are formed, described and what defines them etc.
I'd also read some pieces on the kind of trades and jobs that you could give your characters or at least be a part of the story in your novel as I often do research on certain jobs that were important during ancient and medieval time such as blacksmithing for the novel I'm currently writing.

I would be interested and yes I would be willing to contribute my fingers for an article every now and then. College requires a lot of coursework during my free time but I'm sure I could squeeze a piece for the forums in somewhere.

Artless

Minstrel
With specific guidelines, I'd be more than willing to contribute.
Perhaps, the articles could be a list of contributors are sent a couple of questions, and draft a response to them.
I.e if you wanted Articles on Magic you could sent out a number of questions, and ask us to pick one or two to answer and send back, and then the editor puts them all together. questions like:
Is magic a necessity in a Fantasy world? Explain
How can you incorporate magic into a fantasy world. Should it be realistic or fantastic?
Using examples from books you have read, describe how a magic system has either enhanced, or diminished your enjoyment of a series/author.
etc etc...
I'm sure I can think of more likely questions, but I smell burning.... Better check my dinner!

Chilari

Staff
I think this would be a great idea. I'd certainly be interested in contributing, time permitting.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
There response thus far has been very encouraging. I'm inclined to pursue this project.

As for the nuts and bolts of how this will work, we can hammer that out over the next week or so. The key point is this: we are going to be working together to build something larger than ourselves. That is a wonderful feeling. :)

Raziel

Minstrel
It has been about a month since the last post here. I was wondering if this project is still gearing up? Have you found enough 'nuts and bolts' to start putting something together. If so, I would love to input some knowledge in almost any area for the project. Or if you need another editor...I'm game.

(A quick rant that could use a tweak but I would see it being used for a section for the Intro..maybe..or maybe a 'rules' section of the (forum) project.)
Fantasy, yes, fantasy is a great medium to tell stories about 'elves' and 'hobbit' style creatures. There is something great and fantastical about those types of characters; they're the 'norm' so to speak. Yet they are NOT the rule. That is one of the keys to fantasy, it is it's own rule. You can do whatever you want. Just let it flow. The characters don't have to be familiar. They just need to work for the writer, you.
J. R. R. Tolkien has one of the greatest reputations with fantasy writing. These books are so welled loved because of one simple fact, he had one of the best ways of description. He spun a very vivid tale, and immerses the reader lovingly.
Description, should be a rule. Any writing style has some level of description; it's another one of those 'keys'. So, one should 'get to know' their world. How would it feel to walk around the world you see. (I.E. Is the air 'chalky' on ones throat because of the world being ravaged by smoke and fire' or 'is the forest uplifting to walk through yet the hot and humid air makes it almost difficult to breath.)
Love your world and they will too.

So in closing I'll just say that no matter what your field of writing description is needed. Fantasy is a form where it is almost required. The better you are at describing your world the more the reader will 'feel' it.

Let me know how this is all going.
Good writing to all.
---
Raziel

Hi Black Dragon,

First post, just joined five minutes ago! Hello to everyone! Anyway, on with it--

Creating guides like this will absolutely be "worth it". If Mythic Scribes strives to be a place where fantasy writers can freely discuss the craft of creating and sharing fantasy stories, then "guides" to help writers will be a cornerstone of that project. Although I do imagine that these guides would be evolving for a very long time, and it might be more practical to create stickies with posts by yourself or moderators which detail the guide proper, and then leave the rest of the sticky (the posts after the completion of the guide) open for public discussion. Is that similar to what you were proposing? It would essentially be a guide followed by a discussion of the guide's content and relevant material. Or were you thinking of creating something which could be converted into a downloadable PDF?

I would love to contribute articles every few months or so. I am rather busy as it is, between writing books, editing books, publishing academic works, managing a nonprofit media group, and taking a full load of classes while searching for graduate schools that won't leave me with $200,000 in student loans. But if there are no strict guidelines for when articles are to be submitted, then I would love to become a part of the project.