• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing Resources Forum

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Tried to post a book in writing resources today that I thought a lot of folks would find useful. After not being successful uploading the post, I realized that the rules state that only free resources may be posted. This book is $4.99.

I think I understand why the rule is in place (to stop self promotion to affiliated resources or predatory practices) but this rule (#5) seems a bit too restrictive.

The item in question, is an Emotion Thesaurus that I have no affiliation to at all. Simply speaking, I notice a lot of conversation in showcase discussing how to show character emotion without telling. Seems like this could be helpful to a lot of writers.

Since MS has a lot of active moderators, why is this rule in place and/or why is it restricted so tightly? Seems like this forum is of limited value if only free resources may be posted & only a handful of members can start a new thread.

Please advise.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Since MS has a lot of active moderators, why is this rule in place and/or why is it restricted so tightly? Seems like this forum is of limited value if only free resources may be posted & only a handful of members can start a new thread.

Actually, it's not restricted that tightly. Ultimately, it comes down to the moderators using their best judgment to determine what is useful, and what is blatant promotion.

For that reason, every new thread goes into moderation automatically, and remains there until a moderator can review it. The forum's description indicates this:

Recommended resources for fantasy writers. New threads are moderated.

In your case you submitted the thread, and it waited there until a moderator could review it. A moderator (Benjamin) considered the resource, agreed that it's valuable, and approved it.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Understood. Thank you.

I didn't realize it went to await moderation & tried posting several times (which Ben cleaned up).

Thank you for your reply.