• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Calender of events

SeverinR

Vala
I have a basic plan of the week, 4 days are worship days for different dieties and saturday is a social gathering day, satur is latin for well fed.
satur - Wiktionary

Sunday-worship for Sun gods
Monday-Worship for mood gods
Tuesday-
Wednesday-Worship for Elemental gods (rain, thunder, wind, nature)
Thursday-
Friday-Worship for fire gods
Saturday-Day of sharing, communal feast. (satur-day) social event no matter what religion.

Any suggestions to the days of the week or changes?

Queshire

Istar
If everyone or a large number of the population is expected to observe all the worship days then the majority of the worship would have to be pretty simple, the type of thing you could do at home or wherever you are. Otherwise, if they're closer to the type of religious worship we're used to from real life then that would be a significant time investment. Time spent worshiping is time not spent farming, crafting, cooking, traveling, etc and so on.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Queshire makes a good point. I'd make these days sacred to the specific gods, but people don't need necessarily to workshop all of them every week.

Saturday, btw, comes form Saturn, not satur. You could make a day for judgments--trials, settling debts, feuds, that sort of thing. OTOH, Tyr (Tuesday) was the Norse god of judgment (the god of the hanged). Tyr is also left-handed (Fenrir bit off his right). So you have some flexibility there and you could return Saturday to the Saturnalia theme.

I know it was a typo but the notion of mood gods just tickles me.

Thursday is Thor's day. Besides the obvious associations, maybe a day for craftsmen? Of things associated with strength? Sorry, coming up dry on this one.

Pythagoras

Troubadour
I noticed that there is no god for the earth. Perhaps that could occupy Thor's day. Which would leave Tuesday; maybe a god of the dead?
That would leave you with a Sun god, a Moon god, a god of the Dead, Elemental deities, an Earth god, and a Fire god. Seems like a pretty comprehensive pagan pantheon.

If your going to go ahead and give each day a different meaning then take the full step and com up with new names for them. I.E. from my WIP: Virtusdaeg: generally regarded as a day of worship and rest. Named for the Virtus ,the embodiments of Virtue, and one of the oldest religions in the world

TheRedPrince

Minstrel
Does everyone worship all the gods equally or does each god have their own group of followers? If they all worship every god equally then I would go with a single day for worship (the sabbath). If each god has their own group of worshipers then you could have a day for each god. Also something to think about is why do the gods need to be worshipped every week? Is it something the people of your civilisation have invented of their own accord or is it written so by the gods lest they smite the poor mortals? Could you have a festival of worship once a month through out the year for each god? Or one massive annual festival to honor all gods.