• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A whistle fit for a T. Rex

Jabrosky

Banned
For the short I'm working on, I need a tool or weapon that could be used to repel a Tyrannosaurus rex. For story reasons it needs to be inconspicuous, so I thought I could use something like a dog whistle. That is to say, it would be a special kind of instrument that humans couldn't hear, but it would sound painful to a T. Rex. However, it would work at the opposite sound frequency from a dog whistle. Whereas dog whistles produce high-frequency (or ultrasonic) sound, this hypothetical whistle would produce the kind of low-frequency (or infrasonic) sound that large dinosaurs' ears would have been tuned towards. Assuming this setting is low-magic, would it be possible to manufacture an instrument that made very low-frequency noise? If so, would it resemble a whistle or flute at all?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Love the Anti-T-Rex whistle....
A whistle or flute would have to be huge - Alpine horn scale huge even if curled up... and it would take a great set of lungs to blow it...
Something like Bagpipes could be an alternative. They could be inflated with a few breaths and then a drone or pipe played used to make the note.
Neither would be that speedy... or that subtle to carry...

Jabrosky

Banned
Love the Anti-T-Rex whistle....
A whistle or flute would have to be huge - Alpine horn scale huge even if curled up... and it would take a great set of lungs to blow it...
Something like Bagpipes could be an alternative. They could be inflated with a few breaths and then a drone or pipe played used to make the note.
Neither would be that speedy... or that subtle to carry...
Ah, crud. I was hoping for something that could be attached to a necklace.

My protagonist receives this whistle as a token of gratitude from a hermit she's rescued from Velociraptors. She doesn't believe it has any practical use at first, but once she confronts the T. Rex in the story's climax, she ends up having to use it as a last resort.

Last edited:
As CupofJoe says a low frequency device would need to be large - otherwise it couldn't produce the waveform.

But why not a high pitched? I like the whistle idea and high pitched sounds are painful - and small devices can create those.

It might be corny but an Ocarina like device, which is basically a bulbous whistle, might be good.
Alternatively maybee its a slide whistle? I forget what they're called -with a plunger you move to change the frequency. So you have to also manipulate it to get the exact frequency you need? (Maybe different frequencies have different affects or affect different species?)

Not really a way to get ultra-low frequencies, but I had a sudden idea that the coolest sound to repel dinosaurs would come from a Bullroarer. Picture someone whirling a piece of wood (or other material) on a string, and the sound actually driving off enemies.

Jabrosky

Banned
Not really a way to get ultra-low frequencies, but I had a sudden idea that the coolest sound to repel dinosaurs would come from a Bullroarer. Picture someone whirling a piece of wood (or other material) on a string, and the sound actually driving off enemies.
I see from the article that they have variations of this device coming from Africa. Given the setting's vaguely Central African inspiration, this would work wonderful for my story. I may have to sacrifice the part about it hanging from a necklace though.

mowque

Dreamer
Not necessarily. A bullroarer is still on a string or bit of twine. You could easily keep it around your neck when you aren't using it. Still could fit your look, I think. You'll just take it off when you want to use it.

Trick

Auror
I'm not sure that a Bullroarer would scare a T-rex. I can say one thing for infrasonic sound though. Any infrasonic device loud enough to scare a T-rex would cause the user's internal organs to be torn apart. Infrasonic sound has been weaponized because at above natural frequencies it is very dangerous. Tesla designed infrasonic devices that could have levelled cities, with very little wattage expended. Look up Mark Twain and Tesla together (FYI, they were friends) and you'll find a great story about infrasonic sound. Also look up Dr. Vladimir Gavreau and infrasonic whistles (not what you may be thinking, these whistles were huge and powered by electricity).

Jabrosky

Banned
I'm not sure that a Bullroarer would scare a T-rex. I can say one thing for infrasonic sound though. Any infrasonic device loud enough to scare a T-rex would cause the user's internal organs to be torn apart. Infrasonic sound has been weaponized because at above natural frequencies it is very dangerous. Tesla designed infrasonic devices that could have levelled cities, with very little wattage expended. Look up Mark Twain and Tesla together (FYI, they were friends) and you'll find a great story about infrasonic sound. Also look up Dr. Vladimir Gavreau and infrasonic whistles (not what you may be thinking, these whistles were huge and powered by electricity).
I thought more about the bullroarer idea and decided that a portable one at least wouldn't produce enough infrasonic sound to drive a T. Rex off as I had thought. Besides, it might work better for the story that my heroine use her own ingenuity to defeat the Rex than some special doohickey that someone else gave to her.

Hi,

Low pitched is a problem for a small device. But instead of producing a sound designed to hurt a T rex's ear, how about one that either scares it or attracts it. A clapper perhaps, two pieces of wood on an elastic band that when smashed together make a sound like an egg shell breaking - the sound a T rex instinctively fears due to childhood trauma? Or a horn that produces a sound like another T rex about to attack during rutting season - assuming they have such seasons.

Cheers, Greg.