• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Creating and naming a new race

Maurice

Dreamer
So I've been struggling on making a new race for my fantasy world but I can't think of something and I can't even visualize it on my brain. I've been listing the traits, lifestyle and the culture yet it seems like I can't make one on my head. I started to draw one but it turned out as a cartoon character! (Guess it!) I would like to hear all about your ideas for my novel's world.

The race that I wanted to come out with is that they're so religious and a fanatic of celestial beliefs. So I wanted to ask you guys if you got a name for them and I would like to read your own ideas about their culture! so make one up! :)

Also, I want to know what would be their appearance as well!

Last edited:

shangrila

Inkling
So you want us to do the work for you? That won't go over well...

I'll say this though; just experiment. Try different names, whatever comes to mind. Or go to a word/name generator. Try words in a different language. There are tons of places to get inspirations for names.

How they look is largely irrelevant. Again, experiment and you'll eventually find something you like.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Not much to work with.

What role does this race play in your stories? Are they friend or foe to the other races?

You mentioned they are religious to the point of fanaticism, and this religion is celestial in nature.

This tells us a few things: their society is most likely a theocracy - the priests are in charge. In human societies of this stripe, questioning a priest is tantamount to questioning God...yet priests often differ with each other over points of dogma trivial to outsiders, leading to schisms and splinter groups, each proclaiming itself the 'true faith.'

The other bit you mentioned is the Celestial nature of this religion. Astrology? Belief in gods hailing from the sky?

Maurice

Dreamer
So you want us to do the work for you? That won't go over well...

I'll say this though; just experiment. Try different names, whatever comes to mind. Or go to a word/name generator. Try words in a different language. There are tons of places to get inspirations for names.

How they look is largely irrelevant. Again, experiment and you'll eventually find something you like.

Hi there, I wasn't asking for someone to make one for me. I was asking for suggestions if what would be the cultures and lifestyle of a religious race.

The race that I wanted to come out with is that they're so religious and a fanatic of celestial beliefs. So I wanted to ask you guys if you got a name for them and I would like to read your own ideas about their culture! so make one up! :)

Sorry if I write something like this which made you think like that. I was saying that you share and make your ideas (Your suggestions).

I thank you for your advice tho'. And again, I'm sorry.

Maurice

Dreamer
Not much to work with.

What role does this race play in your stories? Are they friend or foe to the other races?

You mentioned they are religious to the point of fanaticism, and this religion is celestial in nature.

This tells us a few things: their society is most likely a theocracy - the priests are in charge. In human societies of this stripe, questioning a priest is tantamount to questioning God...yet priests often differ with each other over points of dogma trivial to outsiders, leading to schisms and splinter groups, each proclaiming itself the 'true faith.'

The other bit you mentioned is the Celestial nature of this religion. Astrology? Belief in gods hailing from the sky?

Theocracy, that's the word that I'm searching for! Thanks!

About your questions. Well, in the real world, they're like the Vatican. They have one race that spreads their one religion throughout a lot of races. Their role in my story is that they a friend (Because they spread good faith without sacrifice.) since the early ages of time but now they're extinct/missing.

They believe in a Celestial way of Astrology. Because before they build and introduce their religion, they saw stars that blinks, stars that flies, and stars that shines.

So my question is, does this type of race should have a complicated culture or just a simple one just like the real world's Vatican?

Is it okay to have a Theocracy government without the living sacrifice system? (I think it would be weird if it wasn't included.)

Also, as one of the first race to discover religion. Is it okay for them to be too smart and be more superior to other races?

Suggestions?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Everything is okay, so long as you can make it work. What you are asking is for people to say, in effect, no matter what you write, you will be believed. That just ain't going to happen.

The advice being offered is this: first write something. Then ask for feedback. You've got the sequence the wrong way round.

WooHooMan

Auror
Is it okay for them to be too smart and be more superior to other races?

Sure

and be more superior to other races?

No. Inherent racial superiority is a terrible belief in any context.
That's why a lot of people hate Tolkien's elves

Is it okay to have a Theocracy government without the living sacrifice system? (I think it would be weird if it wasn't included.)

Modern Iran (kind of), Mongol-Gelug Buddhist Tibet and Imperial China were theocracies that, as far as I know, didn't practice the living sacrifice system. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that most non-Christian theocracies don't practice it.

Anyways, about naming your guys...
How about Celestines? From the theocracy of Celesti.

When readers see that name, they will, at least subconsciously, think of the word "celestial".
Also, the suffix "stine" brings to mind the Philistines and Palestine, which are both peoples that have some religious importance in Judea-Christian lore.
Or maybe the word "predestine" which means "ordain by divine will".

Maurice

Dreamer
Sure

No. Inherent racial superiority is a terrible belief in any context.
That's why a lot of people hate Tolkien's elves

Modern Iran (kind of), Mongol-Gelug Buddhist Tibet and Imperial China were theocracies that, as far as I know, didn't practice the living sacrifice system. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that most non-Christian theocracies don't practice it.

Anyways, about naming your guys...
How about Celestines? From the theocracy of Celesti.

When readers see that name, they will, at least subconsciously, think of the word "celestial".
Also, the suffix "stine" brings to mind the Philistines and Palestine, which are both peoples that have some religious importance in Judea-Christian lore.
Or maybe the word "predestine" which means "ordain by divine will".

Wow, thanks for the advice!

Celestines sounds cool practical but I like Predestines more 'cause it has a meaning in the real world. Thank, again!

Everything is okay, so long as you can make it work. What you are asking is for people to say, in effect, no matter what you write, you will be believed. That just ain't going to happen.

The advice being offered is this: first write something. Then ask for feedback. You've got the sequence the wrong way round.

Thank you for the advice, I'm sorry if I did something wrong.