• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Magic, Magic, Magic

ArenRax

Sage
Im working on a book that deals with 3 major things in a civilization
Magic
Technology
and Time
Time of course being used by both magic and technology.
my problem is that in terms of spells and technological uses of time im at a dead end.
I can think that maybe both magic and technology harnesses the power of the Time streams to do extrordinary things.
I have thought of Time manipulation, time travel, and freezing time.
please help, any suggestions and ideas are welcome

Hi,

How about some baby steps in there as well. Speeding up and slowing down time so you can effectively move at superspeed.

And there was one book I read long ago which talked about fugues, where a person could literally be in one place and time in many forms, because each form was himself at a different stage in time but come back to that instant. It was used for battle, and the winner of the battle was the one who could create the most numbers of himself in that instance - which when you think about it makes no sense.

There's also the concept of out of time, where you can perhaps remove a person or a place completely from the time stream, so that it exists, but can never be interacted with by the real world. The ultimate fortress of solitude?

Cheers, Greg.

you're working with time as one stream that's manipulated. What about stating that each being has its own flow of time (think lifespan, but with actual time attached to it?). You could then manipulated the time of that being, or even of part of the being.
e.g. speed up the time of the heart so it becomes worthless
e.g. stop time for a particular sense, so its shut down
e.g. speed up the kidneys, so they die and the person dies as well, but a few days later. (you can do this with more subtle organs as well, lymph nodes for example, in essence recreating AIDS)

You could also do something with giving time 'shapes'. I'm thinking of mathematical shapes. Freezing time isturning time into a sot. You can also make it linear and for example have it bounce between two moments in time, or even a lage number of points (to create illusions --> move a tape of something that happened forward or backwards along the line). You can do loops. Something especially cruel would be a spiral, since the event that you have set to spiral will become more and more stretched out (like a framerate getting lower and lower) until the time between two consecutive frames becames near infinite.

WooHooMan

Auror
I got a character who can exist in all times simultaneously. Which is mind-boggling for anyone but him to even think about. Psychotick also mentioned stepping outside of time, which I think is a really neat idea. There's also the idea of experiencing time non-linearly or cyclically which I think is an endlessly fascinating concept.
Maybe someone could create time loops - like reset a specific length of time. Or maybe travel between different timelines/possible outcomes. Or maybe erase sections of time, creating time skips.

Really, power over time is one of the most powerful superpowers out there so maybe you want to keep it's uses limited.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I've toyed with the idea of using time in healing magic. Basically, instead of magically doing the actual healing, the magician speeds up time/aging of the injured body part, and in the accelerated time the damage heals itself normally.

Another way time affects magic is that any magical enchants will lose power over time. If something is enchanted, the enchant will eventually expire and the item will become just a mundane, unenchanted, object again.

In these ways, time can be an active force for both life and death.

ArenRax

Sage
well im thinking is that Time is not only a magic but a source of power like mana and Arcana.

ArenRax

Sage
you can manipulate time with both magic and technology.
the Time streams are made up of an energy which is what i mean when i say they use Time as an an energy as well.
I just thought up of a couple more spells for Time magic.

First of all, I think this is a super fun idea! There's so many ways that you can work with this. As people have said before, there's time travel, healing, slowing or speeding time, etc. One idea is to speed up time in regards to an object (or building perhaps) and to cause it to rust away and fall into ruin. You could also have a character who can project his consciousness into the near future and determine the moves of others. This would give him the edge in a fight because he could predict his opponent's moves. There's also the possibility of making someone age faster than normal, or to remain young forever. Think of what happens to things and people over time, and use the magic and technology to manipulate little things. Perhaps there's a scientist who is trying to complete a new machine, and he puts himself in a groundhog day situation in order to give himself time to finish it. Or perhaps someone can slow time around them to give themselves time to read faster than normal. There really are a lot of possibilities, so once again great idea! Hope some of these ideas help :D

ArenRax

Sage
lol the race that has magic,time, and Technology is like the Doctor. long lived and super smart.
Time Lords thats the race i was thinkin of when i thought of the doctor.....my race is like Time Lords

K.S. Crooks

Maester
You could have:
Parallel Time- a person can see/experience what is happening in two different places at the same moment.
Anti-time- a person experiences events in the reverse order, effect then cause.
Fractured/Splintered time- a person experiences events in a random order than usual. A, B, C, D becomes B, D, A, C