• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What to call a series of War Games?

Saigonnus

Auror
I have been creating a new culture; one whose military hierarchy is based upon merits. The culture itself values three things when it comes to their military forces, equipment (which includes supply lines), training and strategy... when one fails they all fail.

They begin training starting on their 10th birthday (males and females both) and every single day consists of at least an hour of physical or combat training. They can serve in the military force starting at 16, and while it isn't obligatory, it is frowed upon if you don't serve. The epitome of the military branch of society is a "char" (placeholder name) which are the principal strategists of the realm and are honored above all others. To become one, a person must serve in the active military for at least 10 years and attain a decent rank (don't have rank names or even military structure yet) and exhibit honor in discharging one's duty. One must be sponsered and petition for appointment to the rank, to show one is willing.

If all these criteria are met, the military academy (as yet unnamed) will give a series of war games.

The technological level of said culture hasn't yet been decided, but I was thinking something like late in the bronze age or early iron age.

I do have some knowledge of military matters (I have a relative that studies it for a hobby) but what I'd like to know is what you'd call games like these collectively and what sort of tests you'd include in such a gauntlet?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
They'd probably have official and unofficial names for the whole thing and its parts.
The official one would almost certainly be be boring... "Annual Academy Selection"
The unofficial, more colourful... "Wheel of Hell" or something.
As for the test itself, I think there would be many parts over many days...
I would guess that the tests would look for weakness in the candidate's assumptions, logic and understanding. Also guessed, there would be no single right answer to each task as there often isn't one in combat, just best worst options. Chance would play a part too. Sometimes things just don't work like they are supposed to - deal with it - sort of things.
Some would be real-world battle type tests others abstract. One-on-one games like cards can teach you how to read an opponent, so you will react differently to different opponents. Those like Chess or Go help with strategy but remove assumptions and chance.
And I can't help but think that anyone entering would be expected to loose more than they will because the games will be rigged that way, to also see how they react from being the best to having their arse kicked fairly regularly.

That brings me to my final thought about the selection things I've been through... the gaps between. You will be watch all the time, even when they say its-all-over and have-a-drink. So every off hand remark or bad joke will be noticed. Do you get on with others or stay aloof? Do you fit in or rub people the wrong way? Even if you drink/eat too much or stare at the pretty people just a little too long...
This will be noted and taken in to account.

I don't know much about Sparta [or other ancient Greek civilisations] so I can't say how they did this sort of thing.

Last edited:

K.S. Crooks

Maester
You could call them Stratagems, Assault Practicums, Battle Scenarios, Gauntlets, Crescendos (I know it's a musical term but I think it sounds neat and it means a gradual increase in loudness).
Test could be Proficiency of hit targets with arrows, swords, etc. Strength- in relation to objects and in relation to their own body weight. Stamina- ability to continue a certain movement or resist an opposing force.Strategy Assessment- how well they plan or assess a situation. Teamwork/Cooperation- how well they give and take orders. Ingenuity- how well they handle a new/surprising situation. There can be individual and group activities.
Some type of game competition between groups. You can take a few real games or sports and change them into tests/competitions or have them be for fun, while still helping the characters develop their skills. Hope this sparks a few ides.

Russ

Istar
When I served in the Canadian Forces, they had lists for all virtues military, and I know that West Point and many military units are the same.

you could probably look them up that way. In the CF they were called CR or "Critical Requirments", so there would be 10 CR's of Combat leadership etc.

And there just has to be a timed obstacle course ;-)

Your culture sounds very Spartan, you should have a look at the kind of training/tests that they did.

Reaver

Staff
Sounds a lot something in the USMC's Boot Camp called "The Crucible". It's not a trademark so why not call it that?

Saigonnus

Auror
Sounds a lot something in the USMC's Boot Camp called "The Crucible". It's not a trademark so why not call it that?

Not a bad idea, might consider it though in something closer to the language they speak... Thus far the military ranks and what not are loosely based off of turkish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk