• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Lycanthropes and Beast Races in the same world?

The Stranger

Dreamer
i have gotten to thinking what might be the effect of having a fantasy world in which there are both Lycanthropes (mortals that can become monstrous animals) and races of intelligent creatures that resemble animals? would common folk know the difference on sight? Would a dog-like race of creatures be able to become werewolves, or a cat-like race be able to be transformed into were-tigers? Do you think that lycanthropes would be shunned by their native race but welcomed by another more bestial race? What o you think the outcome would be on the population as well as the societies of the world itself?

Gurkhal

Auror
i have gotten to thinking what might be the effect of having a fantasy world in which there are both Lycanthropes (mortals that can become monstrous animals) and races of intelligent creatures that resemble animals? would common folk know the difference on sight? Would a dog-like race of creatures be able to become werewolves, or a cat-like race be able to be transformed into were-tigers? Do you think that lycanthropes would be shunned by their native race but welcomed by another more bestial race? What o you think the outcome would be on the population as well as the societies of the world itself?

I think that everything is possible, but I would be cautious to get to many things that are to similar to each other. For example both the beastfolk and the shapeshifters could potentially have a very similar part if you don't plan carefully. So I would think about what they are supposed to add to the story and pick the alternative that would work best with the need.

Vandor

Dreamer
Maybe have them as different strains? Lineages? Stages of life?

For example, a group of werewolves lived so long with their condition that the forms began to blur. Wolf mixed with human permanently, altering the bloodline. Also depends how far your lycanthropes shift form. Old werewolf tales focused more on humans becoming actual wolves. It was only the advent of film and prosthetics that brought out the wolf-man hybrid, which cgi has now seamlessly blended into its own creature. So maybe the beast-men are in that hybrid phase, but retain the ability to shift into either species for a period?

Or diverging bloodlines. True beast-people, and those that have an infection spread by rabid or violent members of the race, which inflicts a lycanthropic condition upon the victim. Humans and beast-people both reject the infected bc they are respectfully diseased/monstrous and mimicry/a mark of shame for their culture.

Shreddies

Troubadour
I see no problem with it. If it is done well.

The first thing I'd want to know is how these lycanthropes come about. Are they a race of their own? Is it from a disease? Is it from a curse? Is it inherited? Is it 'curable'? Do they remain cognitive during transformation, or do they become animalistic, drunk, drugged, etc. ? Are they violent, peaceful, or do they behave like wild animals (as in, fearing human society and avoiding them)? Are they in control of when they transform or is it forced?

Depending on the settings for the lycanthropes you can have a wide variety of responses from other people.

If lycanthropes are in control and stable during the transformation, then I could see a culture developing around them where they are valued soldiers and hunters. Yes, they might be feared, but they might also be revered. It might be treated as something akin to Skinchanging, where you can turn into a creature by using its pelt, etc.

If you have lycanthropy as a disease or curse and beastmen as an actual separate race, then you could either make lycanthropy deadly for the beastmen. Such as, they simply turn into violent animals permanently, a terrifying end for them. Or you could have the beastmen simply immune to it. Or they can carry the disease, but they're unaffected by it. etc.

You could also have the beastmen, or a small fanatical group of them, infect themselves intentionally to increase their strength, etc. Seeing it as a divinely ordained rite of passage.

If victims of lycanthropy are universally violent and animalistic. Then I could see the beastmen being shunned or outright attacked after being mistaken for lycanthropes.

I think whether or not the lycanthropes are accepted by the more bestial races would depend on if they were close enough to those races in appearance and behavior and how open-minded those races were.

You can do quite a lot with this, actually.

Last edited: