• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

architectural development

so i am writing a fantasy novel which is also my first novel in general and i am having some problems coming up with ideas for architecture in the following scenario. a group of people are stranded when their home land is destroyed, they find new land and after warring with its indigenous and more primitive inhabitants secure a large piece of their land. lets say this happened a little more than a hundred years ago or so, how far do you think their new land would have progressed? bare in mind this is a strange new world and while they have the knowledge for advanced methods of building but lack certain resources.
hopefully my point gets across to you, thank you

TheKillerBs

Maester
the landmass is quite forested but i haven't really put much thought into the climate, i would assume similar to earth

That's not very helpful. Well, the forested part is, but the climate part is not. People build their shelters according to the resources available and what kind of climate they're dealing with. So if they live in a forested area, they would probably build their homes out of wood, but what kind of buildings they're making will also depend on whether they have to deal with lots of rain or not, or whether they have to deal with cold winters or if it's really hot like in the tropics. Finally, I should've asked earlier, but does "advanced" mean modern?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
the landmass is quite forested but i haven't really put much thought into the climate, i would assume similar to earth

Earth has many different climates -- polar ice caps, tundra, boreal forest, temperate forest, rainforest, desert, and likely others I can't think of just now. Which of those fits the region you're working on?

ok so i did some thinking, i realized there is much i hadn't thought of before this. regarding the weather half the year is quite sunny while the second half is mostly rainy. i didn't really want to go over board with the weather and create a massive complicated system so i am keeping it simple and letting the story and magical system fill in for a pretty regular world but this is just for this part of the story where it all starts, they get to some pretty wild places afterwards. also i based the history a bit on the Mayans and the Spaniards so i was thinking they inherited some of their cities and maybe even used some of them to build. i was doing some research about the materials used for those ancient buildings like the pyramids etc like mud brick and stones and so on. thanks anyway guys i'll continue working on this stuff.

MiguelDHorcrux

Minstrel
A hundred years should also be enough for them to take care of the bare necessities, say for example they now have structures for storing water and food for the rainy season. Speaking of rainy season, here in the Philippines, also heavily influenced by the Spaniards due to 333 years of colonization, forest dwellers build their wooden houses with stilts so the floods will just be right under them and not on their houses. Also, forests, which means animals of various kinds right? They can use bear/tiger/deer skins in architecture too.