• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where do I draw the line?

Zack

Scribe
If you saw my last thread "Timeframe Issues" you'll see that I'm incorporating a lot of science fiction into my fantasy storyline. However, where should I draw the lines between fantasy and sci-fi? Unless there can be no boundaries between the two. I just want to avoid going overboard and making this book really stupid. Right now it involves werewolves and other legendary creatures, a long frozen state where the main character experiences a paradigm shift after being frozen for many many years. Like Captain America. When he wakes up it's a lot like a Star Wars/Mass Effect era where he must relearn the world, while contending with the difficulties of being a Werewolf. He was born in a era similar to that of the Ancient Romans. Too much?

WooHooMan

Auror
No, you're fine.
You can draw the line wherever you like. Or you can not draw it at all.
As it stands, I'd call this a fantasy character in a sci-if story.

What line? As far as I know, there's no legal definition contrasting sci-fi and fantasy, and even if there was, I wouldn't care. It's more like a spectrum: on one end is super-wacky high fantasy that defies reality so much it hurts your brain, on the other end is such technical hardcore science-fiction that it equally hurts. All that really matters is how much realism you're comfortable with, how consistantly you justify it, how how well you can portray it in your chosen setting. Now I'll read anything but Twilight, but I write what I guess is considered science-fantasy. I love the feel of fantasy, the mystery of the magic and the endless possibilities, but I like things to make sense and feel real at the heart. So while my current WIP is written as epic fantasy, at least from how the characters perceive their world, but I like to base the laws of their magic and reality on the physics of our world. Or at least consider every scientific fact, theory, or posibility when worldbuilding.

As long as I can explain it consistently within the defined physics of my fantasy world, and as long as I'm comfortable that it pays tribute to the wonders and horrors of our own reality, it's worth trying to write the wackiest things well. Some people don't seem to understand this method, I get a lot of "do what you want, it's fantasy!" when I ask more specific questions about scientific facts and possibilities, but oh well. I just like answers to my questions.

Zack

Scribe
Cool, thanks! I'm really excited about this book. Been a long time in the making.

Zack

Scribe
Ok since I mentioned it, how would you go about breaking the fact that a bronze-age person is now living in what is the 27th century? Mind you the person is rather intelligent.

WooHooMan

Auror
What line? As far as I know, there's no legal definition contrasting sci-fi and fantasy, and even if there was, I wouldn't care. It's more like a spectrum: on one end is super-wacky high fantasy that defies reality so much it hurts your brain, on the other end is such technical hardcore science-fiction that it equally hurts.

I disagree. It's more like there's a big collection of fantasy conventions, a big collection of sci-fi conventions and a small bunch of conventions that fit in both genres.
And then the writer can pick and choose which conventions they'll have in their story.

Ok since I mentioned it, how would you go about breaking the fact that a bronze-age person is now living in what is the 27th century? Mind you the person is rather intelligent.

Who knows? I guess they'll try to rationalize what they see with something they can wrap their minds around.

I'm imagining a scientist talking to a viking.
The scientist says, "we're going to board a starship to go from Earth to Venus."
And the viking is like: "so, we're hoping on the magic longboat to go from Midgard to Niflheim. Got it."

Russ

Istar
What line? As far as I know, there's no legal definition contrasting sci-fi and fantasy, and even if there was, I wouldn't care. It's more like a spectrum: on one end is super-wacky high fantasy that defies reality so much it hurts your brain, on the other end is such technical hardcore science-fiction that it equally hurts. All that really matters is how much realism you're comfortable with, how consistantly you justify it, how how well you can portray it in your chosen setting. Now I'll read anything but Twilight, but I write what I guess is considered science-fantasy. I love the feel of fantasy, the mystery of the magic and the endless possibilities, but I like things to make sense and feel real at the heart. So while my current WIP is written as epic fantasy, at least from how the characters perceive their world, but I like to base the laws of their magic and reality on the physics of our world. Or at least consider every scientific fact, theory, or posibility when worldbuilding.

You are being a tad pedantic with WHM.

There are no "legal" definitions of any writing genre, just like there are not any "legal" definitions of most scientific concepts (such as say punctuated equilibrium). That does not mean that that there are not both academic and common definitions upon which there is a great deal of agreement and offer some value when used right. I would suggest that there is a bright line between works that would be considered science fiction and works that are not. Fantasy is a little more complicated by not too too bad.

There are times when such definitions are important and times when they are not, but they do exist. Whether or not you choose to ignore them is neither here nor there.

Russ

Istar
If you saw my last thread "Timeframe Issues" you'll see that I'm incorporating a lot of science fiction into my fantasy storyline. However, where should I draw the lines between fantasy and sci-fi? Unless there can be no boundaries between the two. I just want to avoid going overboard and making this book really stupid. Right now it involves werewolves and other legendary creatures, a long frozen state where the main character experiences a paradigm shift after being frozen for many many years. Like Captain America. When he wakes up it's a lot like a Star Wars/Mass Effect era where he must relearn the world, while contending with the difficulties of being a Werewolf. He was born in a era similar to that of the Ancient Romans. Too much?

To come back more to your original question I certainly think a good tale could be written using all of these elements with two caveats.

The first is that it is a lot of disparate elements to combine and it is going to be hard to do so well. You will need some mighty fine craft, characterization and plotting to get you through successfully, but nothing beats a good challenge.

The second is the big question, which is "what is your story really about, and what about that theme requires the use of all these elements." For a good piece of work the answer can't just be "it's cool."

If that doesn't make sense I could give you a negative example. But let's try a couple of positive ones instead.

For instance if the message or theme of your story is "When faced with unbelievable change and disorientation man still has the ability to adapt and survive" your fact situation might be just right.

Or if your message is "No matter what time and place the virtues of a true warrior are universal", your situation seems like a great fit.

But I would urge you to ask yourself "what is my story about?" and once I know that then ask "does it need these elements to be told or are they amusing window dressing?".

Zack

Scribe
Right. Originally all of my thoughts, previous drafts, etc were science fiction. I think I just wanted to experiment a bit with fantasy, and that lead to the time jump among other things. Which would put me in an easier world to create/work with. However, like you said, I haven't taken into consideration the theme I'm trying to convey in the book. Most of the extra stuff I did throw in because it was cool. Too many thoughts, not enough ideas. I'm going to spend some time rethinking the novel. Honestly, with the ideas I have, I should probably separate them into two books and work on them one at a time. Thanks! Seeing as how this is a fantasy writing forum, does anybody know of a sci-fi forum with active members?