• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Unique Relics and Magical Items

Boiled Water

Dreamer
My world is populated by interesting characters and institutions but I often fail to think of unique physical objects. I'm tired of uninspired glowing swords, magic crystals, and cursed books. I'd love to hear some of your creative ideas for items unique to your world! Obviously, I'm not looking to steal ideas just searching for inspiration. All ideas are welcome!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
In a story that stalled I had Goblin shoes.
In this world, Goblins could climb walls lizard/gecko like, a near magical ability to seemingly defy gravity on any surface. Shoes made of Goblin skin would be very helpful to would be climbers as they would be far less likely to fall. The only drawback was that the skin was most effective when it was fresh and didn't last so had to be replaced every few weeks/months.
Goblins were sentient/sapient creatures so some people thought it a little cruel [as well as being morally down right wrong] to skin them just for a bit more traction on a cliff face or castle wall...
Hey it wasn't as if they were "real" people... They are just Green-skins, I mean Goblins...

WooHooMan

Auror
The Slab of Albion. A large, flat rock where the heroic demigod Albion bled to death over the course of a year. Over that year, he taught classes on astronomy, literature and chemistry. Albion's blood gives it magical properties but it's too big and heavy to be of much use.

The Firetalker's gold. A ball made of solid gold. Whoever has it becomes immune to fate. Or becomes the only being not immune to fate. It's not really clear.

Julius's Cane. A walking stick used by the mage-king Julius I. It can control wind. So, I guess it's a really long and specialized magic wand.

Marasu's stuffed bird. A stuffed bird with 444,444,444 spirits trapped inside it.

The Soulsigil. A magical tattoo capable of being used to summon demons.

O'Darby's pistol. A magical gun capable of distorting space and time if used right. It was made/used by a god called The Dragon Who Breaks Chains.

The Heart of Time. A ball of fossilized magic mosquitoes. It's capable of controlling time.

Lady Twingate's pearl. A pearl that brings about either enlightenment or insanity depending on who looks at it.

I think that covers it for all of my magical objects. Honestly, there's more here than I thought. I usually don't like having magical items or plot macguffins.

Malik

Auror
I was reading a piece by a DM/GM --

DM of the Rings I:The Copious Backstory - Twenty Sided

-- when you have an afternoon, this is a work of genius, BTW --

And at one point he talks about giving his players magic items that don't actually have any serious power. One item was a walking stick that, if you set it on its end, would stay upright. It had no other powers. Another was a rope that untied itself the moment you let go of it. I imagine the players beat their brains in trying to figure out what the thing's "real" use was.

I remember reading this and thinking how cool it would be to have a world filled with weird, low-key magical items. A small utility/eating/camp knife that is insanely sharp but will only cut inanimate objects. A pair of boots that will fit anyone who puts them on, but that's the extent of their magic. Et cetera.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I needed a McGuffin to justify the MC in 'Labyrinth' entering a gargantuan maze. Thing is, the MC is of very high social status, from a very wealthy family with multiple wizards on the payroll. I needed something different from the usual magical trinkets.

What I settled on was the 'Maximus Seal,' a signet that can open or close portals (doors) as a secondary function. Mostly, though, it can be used to bind different parties to common cause without future betrayal. Put your chop on an agreement, mark it with the Seal, and you HAVE to hold to the terms of that deal. Hence preliminary deals meant to be renegotiated later become unbreakable. Very useful for a politically active family - unless people figure it out. Plus, the Seal is a family heirloom, dating to the era when the MC's family sat the imperial throne.