• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Original Creatures, now original world

Phoenix

Troubadour
Greetings! I have successfully created an original species(sorta). Now I have to put these creatures in a world. But I'm having trouble with that. I keep getting these ideas without realizing that someone else has used them (curse you George!). I mean my plot is a original (iffy here and there), but I would like for works not to influence me without my realization. Any way out?

Ravana

Istar
Without your realizing it? Yeah, don't read. :p

Alternately, read everything that's ever been written: that way you won't repeat something accidentally… though somehow I doubt that's what you were hoping for. (Good luck doing that: it's long since become physically impossible.)

Apart from that, though, you're pretty much stuck. The trick is not to deliberately repeat anything–or, rather, everything–from a single source. A completely original plot may be possible, but it's awfully difficult, and only gets more so over time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hans

Sage
It is an old saying that everything worth writing has already been written. But not by you.
It is very hard to find an original main plot. That doesn't matter. Take it, add details, work with it. The more you do that the sooner you will see it derivating from the original work. Which also is not so original as you might think.
It is not possible to work creatively without influences from anywhere. That is just the way our brain works.

TWErvin2

Auror
I don't think you can have anything 'totally' original. Besides, having a common point of reference for readers is important. Although not as common in fantasy, creating aliens and alien cultures is a process that struggles with many aspects described.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Greetings! I have successfully created an original species(sorta). Now I have to put these creatures in a world. But I'm having trouble with that. I keep getting these ideas without realizing that someone else has used them (curse you George!). I mean my plot is a original (iffy here and there), but I would like for works not to influence me without my realization. Any way out?

It's hard to say without knowing specific details of what you created or how it might be similar. In general, though, you can take an existing element and make it original through your own creative twists or even subtle details. And as has been said, nothing is all that original. If you describe any idea in broad enough terms it will sound like somebody else's idea. There's a line somewhere, of course, both legally and in the minds of your readers, but I think it becomes harder and harder to cross as you gain more self-awareness of your writing.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Troubadour
Thanks for the input guys! Like I said though my creature are original for the most part. But I do not feel like telling them in the open. Anyways my story is a lot like George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones, but do you really think I should stop reading them?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Thanks for the input guys! Like I said though my creature are original for the most part. But I do not feel like telling them in the open. Anyways my story is a lot like George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones, but do you really think I should stop reading them?

Normally I would say no, but if you're really at the point where you find yourself asking, then maybe it is time to put them down for a little bit and pick up something else. If you find that it's boxing in and shaping your writing too much, you could just be too close to it.

I flip a coin with my wife sometimes when she can't make a decision. It's not really about letting fate decide, but in seeing your own reaction to hearing, "Okay, this is the decision." Sometimes she says "Okay," and sometimes she immediately shouts "NOO!!" and we do the opposite. This post is a little like that.

It's really impossible for me or anyone else to say without knowing a lot more about what you're doing. You're the one who has to figure out how it's affecting you.

Xarxium

Acolyte
For me I cannot write without reading a lot, and I love A Song of Ice and Fire. Well to me you should wait till after you finish reading as much of the books as you can, so after A Dance With Dragons, because when you're actually in the middle of reading a story you might feel more prone to 'copy' it. So I say wait till after you've finished reading.

Phoenix

Troubadour
Okay I'm doing it then! Once I read the books I'm on right now, and A Dance With Dragons, I begin the process! Although I'm getting a Nook Tablet for Christmas...