• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

World Growing

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
This is a post in favor of world growing rather than world building. I know it sounds like a distinction without a difference, but it's the best I can do in describing how I approach Altearth.

As some of you know, I've been working in this alternate history version of Earth for many years. Rather than trying to figure everything out ahead of time, I have studiously refrained from defining anything until it became unavoidable. Call it Just In Time world building.

The reason for this is simple enough. As long as I don't say what dwarves (for example) are, where they live, how they behave, their history, their culture, etc., I can make modifications. As soon as I say dwarves live in mountains, especially if I say it in a story, then that becomes an unmovable fact. One of those unalterable points in time like in Doctor Who.

This has brought two advantages I've been able to identify. One, it gives time for things to cook. Being an alternate Earth, I already had a timeline--the human one. So it was a matter of figuring out when dwarves needed to make an appearance. By the time I needed to invoke that, I had already had many hours of thinking or daydreaming about dwarves, trying out various ideas like trying outfits at a clothing store. The long cooking time also gave more opportunity for unexpected ideas to come along.

Two, as I developed stories and other ideas (including ideas about other non-human peoples), I began to see places where dwarves not merely fit but actually contributed to the general history. I began to see ways to have dwarves have a history not only in relation to humans but also internally. Just recently, the points of intersection have multiplied. Now elves are the way they are because of how they came into Altearth. That conditions how they deal with other peoples, who themselves come to the table with their own vision and agenda. This in turn directly affects the core events over centuries. I'm finding this to be very satisfying.

And a little surprising. That is, I have been letting the basic history of elves, dwarves, orcs and gnomes cook for a long time. Now, rather suddenly, I find the need to fill out their stories. And pieces are locking into place in ways that feel entirely appropriate and interesting. My Altearth website will soon have essays on each of them--a public commitment to the narrative that I sure hope I do not have to amend!

Too often in fantasy stories, humans may have a history, but non-human history is all but static. Or, the world itself has a history, and the peoples within it have a history only in reaction to that. This latter in particular is a tendency for the build-it-first school of epic fantasy. The organic approach will have its weaknesses, too, though just now I'm rather like the proud parent who sees no fault. I'm not really trying to persuade anyone away from their own approach, I'm just offering this alternative in case it catches anyone else's fancy.

Reaver

Staff
Okay, this confirms it. You're the 21st century Tolkien. I'd like an autographed copy of your first novel when you get published.

WooHooMan

Auror
Nothing you're doing here is terribly out of the ordinary. Everybody has their own method of worldbuilding. Your method, worldgrowing, is just that: your method of worldbuilding.
I've seen other writers do that. In fact, I do that.

I think this is the real fun of fantasy settings: discovery. As a writer, you discover things about your setting as surely as the reader discovers things about the setting.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
@Russ: *giggle*

Hey, I ain't got nothin' against bookstores. Not even my bicycle. What I really wish is for the kind of informed, independent bookstore that I remember from my middle age, which is starting to blur into my youth. Objects at this distance are smaller than they appear, apparently.

I tell you what. I finish my novel and it gets published and you buy it, I'll come to your city and sign the thing! I could use a road trip.

As a codicil to my OP, pieces have been locking into place all day long. It's really quite astonishing. It's like that pot of water set on the stove that took forever to warm and bubble, then suddenly was flowing over the sides. Or, to return to the original metaphor, it's the carrot that didn't come up and didn't come up, then up it came (anyone remember that children's book?). You just leave it in the ground and keep watering it.

It's like, yes of course that's the way elves are, and how they interact with other peoples, and naturally dwarves were thus and so. Today was a happy day.

Peat

Sage
Huh. There was me thinking this thread would be about someone's idea for a High Fantasy setting where they were literally growing worlds like they were apples on a tree.

*looks around shiftily* My idea now!

Seriously though*, very pleased that things are going well for you and your idea is working out as planned. I completely and totally agree that most fantasy worlds have, uh, quite ridiculous histories. I think you're right that avoiding defining the world until the definition is needed is one of the better ways around this.

*I am actually quite serious about the first bit, but you know, the thread should be about you and not my brain going kaput ;)

Russ

Istar
I tell you what. I finish my novel and it gets published and you buy it, I'll come to your city and sign the thing! I could use a road trip.

Tell you what. You finish your novel and get it published with a big five publisher, I am happy to set you up a signing at our local spec pic bookstore, Bakka, and I will arrange a successful local spec fic writer to introduce you or interview you.

My wife is planning her first book tour right now, and the plan is to have a successful thriller author interview her in each city. We believe it will draw out lots more fans to the events.

I don't think Boise is on the tour though...:mad: