• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Pet Society

caters

Sage
One of the stories I am working on is all about pets. Pets of all kinds from mammals to reptiles to birds.

Here are the pets in my fictional pet society:

Dogs:

Great and friendly, majority of population, sometimes assists other kinds of pets besides dogs

Cats:

Very friendly but very instinctive as well. During the day, they help dogs. During the night, they keep rodent and reptile population under control.

Rodents(all kinds):

Very frightened. Fear increases with every step since anybody can catch them.

Puppies and Kittens:

Get along very well. Kittens sometimes end up being with dogs and puppies sometimes end up being with cats.

Lizards:

Very instinctive, keeps insect and rodent populations under control. Some of them even eat other reptiles like snakes.

Snakes:

Once again, instinctive but can eat almost anything(except turtles and crocodilians).

Turtles:

Very friendly. Eats any plant overgrowth. Very good defenses against most animals.

Alligators and Crocodiles:

Live on the outskirts of cities and towns, guarding the place. Sometimes animals like foxes can sneak past them and it becomes a problem for everyone.

Birds:

Fast. Live up high and send messages to everyone.

So basically, it is like the wild but also like a city. What I mean by that is that there is a food web(a complex one centered around rodents and exotics) but at the same time, there is a society much like that in a city.

I'm wondering if I am missing anything. I have all the reptiles. I have exotics in a separate society who need licensing to live in the other pet society. I have all kinds of roles(babysitter(dogs babysit kittens and cats babysit puppies), business, beauty(a job for turtles), rodent control(everyone from puppies to snakes to alligators and crocodiles(except turtles and birds) will eat rodents to keep them under control), etc.). I am working on the story right now. Is anything missing?

And even if nothing is missing, is there anything that can make this better with no humans?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Rodents are careful and skittish but they can be fearless and very bold. Rats can be clever and [in their way] affectionate. I know someone that carried a rat on them every day for two or three years. It scared the hell out of people to see it move under clothing or suddenly appear out of an opening.

caters

Sage
But with so many animals after them, especially cats and snakes, how can they be fearless? I would expect them to be in constant fear.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Rats are wary, but not permanently in fear. If they were afraid all the time, how would they feed or make more rodents?
Rats are active and inquisitive.
I have no evidence for this, but if it was a fair fight between a Rat and something the size of a Gecko... My money would be on the Rat to at least escape if not kill the Gecko.