• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

This is Taughfland

halisme

Dreamer
Previous post: http://mythicscribes.com/forums/world-building/17301-welcome-my-world.html

Anyway, it's been a while so I decided to create part 2 of my series, this time focusing on the country where my novel is set, Taughfland. A quick pronunciation guide "Tore-f-land", if that seems weird, just pronounce taught with an f replacing the t, and then add land to the end.

Now, onto the show.

Geography

Taughfland lies at the north east corner of Jenobeh, with a map present here: Taughfland - Imgur

History

When The Sourcan Empire began its conquest of Jenobeh, Uftadeh was the name given to a series of trading posts and fortifications used to resupply troops, and provide a staging point from which further attacks into the continent could be made. The majority of these were focused on the east of the River Gin, the wester most major river. While many had expected the conquest to be easy, the majority of Jenobeh’s population was scattered into loose tribes that, while unable to present a cohesive front, provided no single structure that could be destroyed to allow for full conquest.

This wildlife also equally hostile. The most prominent threats were a creature the Treboars, a wild pig scaled to the size of a rhinoceros with two large tusks and a horn, the Larder Bear, which would impale any prey too large to immediately eat on sharp trees, and Scaled Lions, beasts that inhabit the mountainous areas and hunt in packs.

As the empire's internal strife grew, Uftadeh was slowly abandoned by the empires civilian progress and, under the rein of Shikast, the second to last ruler of the empire, it was converted into a penal colony for captured tribesmen, and those who had committed crimes worthy of exile. The emperor’s cousin, Badri, was assigned as its warden, while her husband was sent to an island chain to the south which were in rebellion with their daughter. Neither would return.

It was during this point The Brinewrath occurred. With the warden dead, the upper levels of command sharing her fate and no orders coming from the outside, the prisoners revolted. They could be divided into roughly factions based on geography.

In the northern peaks were those who worked the quarries and mines. The first to revolt, most likely over decreasing rations, their hammers and picks were as useful against flesh as were against stone. Admittedly the conflict was short lived, a third of the guards defecting. While lacking a cohesive leader, a man known to history as The Pygmy served as their chief negotiator when interacting with other tribes

Afterwards were those in the forests. Unlike their northern ilk, a revolt was already being planned by the prisoners. The chief conspirator was a Belatine Oakheart, a political theorist and populist politician who believed that ability to rule should determine leaders, not right of birth. The guards were ambushed in their sleep, and given the option to surrender or die. Many accepted, knowing that the prison now served no point. This includes one of the warden’s sons, who would prove remarkably useful.

Finally there was the salt farmers who inhabited the coast. Their rebellion was the bloodiest, having to contend with both the former guards, and freshly created Brinespawn. Their leader was a man named Reim Silvertongue, named for his skill at persuasion.

While the local garrisons of each prison were removed, there were still a series of imperial forts that had to be emptied. While the prisoners were of three distinct factions, they worked with a great level of cohesion, setting up sieges and deciding to starve them out. It was during this time that The First taking occurred. Due to prisoners being exclusively male, expeditions were organised to seek out the local tribes, and bring back women. Some simply kidnapped their brides, some of the former tribesmen returned to their homes, or returned with family, though Belatine took a different approach. Instead, he promised them better lives, penning The Rights of Man and Woman which served as law for the foresters, and later for the unified kingdom which would form.

It took two years for all the forts to be captured or destroyed, after which the tribes went their separate ways. Those of the mountains became more akin to the tribal cultures that surrounded them, finding a chief in a man named Marius, who would later declare himself king. Those from the coast would eventual move inland and join the foresters. This has been attributed to two factors. The first being the Brinespawn, the second, The Pyrics.

And that’s the end for now. This has gone on for longer than I hoped and I still have more ground to cover, though it is admittedly not as deep. Next up, is The Red Reign and the Pyrics, which I hope to have done by next week. If you want to criticise it, feel free as well.

Last edited:

halisme

Dreamer
Sounds great! But my more pressing question is: how did you create that map?
There's a game called Age of Wonders 3 which includes a map editor. I use that to make the terrain and put the cities and roads down. After that I screenshot it and add text in an image editor.