Read Reviews on Amazon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A False Justification to Usurp

A False Justification to Usurp

Quick question I am in need of a cover-up story for a prince that would be able to fool the majority of people (and convert them to his side) on a reason that prince would usurp his brother's spot on the throne....

Any clever ideas?

Accusations of improper relations with a goat.
    "Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G. K. Chesterton

Mythic Scribes Articles

Off the top of my head:

Brother was an illegitimate child - a bastard child is not generally considered eligible to sit a throne.

Prince is actually the elder and should have been on the throne all along (figure that out yourself).

Elder brother is actually a girl.

Elder brother is actually a sentient speaking cactus.

The above dealt with eroding the brothers' claim, which in our own history is the only real path to gaining the throne yourself. 'Fitness to rule' played second fiddle to 'legitimacy of claim' based on various rules. Maybe your own world will have different rules for each.
    Blog: Rant, Ramble, and Rave | My Stuff on Amazon | My Stuff on Smashwords
    "They sing of Grief. They call him an old king who ruled over men's hearts before we rose up from barbarity, and he was usurped by Joy."

Brother slain by dastardly foe. Meanwhile, dispatch assassins to ensure allegedly deceased brother doesn't inconveniently turn up during the coronation.

Brother captured and imprisoned by dastardly foe. My duty to take over ruling in his stead until we can negotiate his release. I'm sure you'll all agree this should be our greatest priority - on that note, I'm forced to raise everyones taxes in order to pay their exhorbitant ransom demands. Meanwhile, dispatch assassins to ensure allegedly incarcerated brother doesn't inconveniently turn up during the coronation.
    Last edited by Drakhov; 2-7-12 at 1:47 AM.

Insanity is always a good one. Most of the subjects probably think their rulers are all looney tunes anyway, so it's an easy sell. Not to mention it's widely historically precedented.

Accusations of improper relations with a goat.
    Hey, I already used that one in Machiavel.…
    I have taken all knowledge to be my province. Tariff rates and immigration policies forthcoming.

Brother committed an unspeakable crime against the Kingdom/Empire or religion (if it has a lot of power). Prince comes up with 'undisputed proof'. There could even be a little bit of truth to it, though the prince could exaggerate it enough or have the King/brother framed for another crime - a real crime which was committed by the prince or someone the prince paid off.

Portfolio Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Telcontar View Post
    Off the top of my head:

Elder brother is actually a girl.

Elder brother is actually a sentient speaking cactus.
    Only a partial quote above, but on that note;

Brother's closest advisor is actually a female, sentient, speaking, motile cactus. Or some variation on that. Maybe the brother is insane, and maybe the cactus really is sentient.
    In order to make an apple pie from scratch you must first create the universe - Carl Sagan

I think you'll want something that can't be easily disproven. For example if he accuses the king of being a woman, all the king has to do is call in the royal physician as an expert witness or, if it comes to it, take his trousers off in public, shouting: "Go on, look all you like! Gaze upon the royal scepter!"

And even if it's something like the king being illegitimate, the burden of proof will still be on the prince. It's not like the king has to prove he is who he says he is.

Your best bet is to think of something the people might be very displeased with to begin with, and then have the prince find a way to pin the blame on the king. (Which shouldn't be that hard, since the king does have a responcibility towards his people.) Perhaps there's a plague an the prince convinces them the king spread it deliberatelly? Or maybe the people are starving and the prince tells them the king's pantry is overflowing with food. Sadly, most humans are only too willing to blame their suffering on a scapegoat, and if you tell a bunch of angry people what they want to hear, you will have an easy time manipulating them.
    Last edited by Anders Ämting; 2-7-12 at 9:53 AM.
    "Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by Little Storm Cloud View Post
    Brother committed an unspeakable crime against the Kingdom/Empire or religion (if it has a lot of power). Prince comes up with 'undisputed proof'. There could even be a little bit of truth to it, though the prince could exaggerate it enough or have the King/brother framed for another crime - a real crime which was committed by the prince or someone the prince paid off.
    Hmmm, not sure about this - the problem here is that most kings, at least as far as medieval-esque settings go, are absolute rulers by divine right, they're above the law (heck, they ARE the law). He can make mustaches illegal (or compulsory), abolish Tuesdays and appoint his horse Chancellor - clearly as mad as a spoon, but still King. They can't be impeached, charged with a crime or voted out of office (i guess they can abdicate, but that's their choice, not somebody elses).

He CAN be accused of heresy, if such a concept exists in your society so that may be something.

Your prince, for whatever reason, seems to want his peoples support and approval as well as some justification beyond 'because I say so!' - here's an interesting idea for your consideration...

King is an absolute ruler, can't be accused of any crime.
    Rules of Succession state the brother is next in line to the throne (assuming big brother doesn't have an heir)
    Little brother walks up to big brother and outright kills him, then sits down to breakfast - he can do this in full view of everyone, since with big brother lying in a pool of his own blood, little brother is now King, no ifs or buts (despite the fact he's peeling an apple with the same blood stained dagger he drove into his brother's heart a few seconds ago, and is possibly giggling to himself or has his underpants on his head). After the initial shock wears off it's business as usual - "The King is dead! Long live the King!"
    Last edited by Drakhov; 2-7-12 at 1:49 PM.

Brother has a disease like tuberculosis which makes him weak/sick/bedridden all the time and gives the people doubts about his ability to rule.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast