• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

"Anachronistic" Technology in a Fantasy Setting

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'm reassessing some of the worldbuilding I'd thought I finished a while ago, and I keep asking myself if I'm going far enough in terms of the technological capabilities of the society.

What sort of technology do we see in fantasy that stand out as "cool" and appropriate, even though it would strictly be anachronistic?

I'm not asking about steampunk technology, which stands on its own, and I'm not asking about guns, which were discussed heavily in another thread. I'm asking what kind of realistic technology - like greenhouses and hot air balloons - you've seen or used in a typical medieval, swords-and-sorcery-type story, and what did you think of it?

Ankari

Hero Breaker
In Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, he introduced explosives and Greek fire. I loved them. In R. Scott Bakker's Warrior-Prophet, it wasn't so much as technology as the level of knowledge that blew me away. The MC studied each facial muscle and how they worked when under a certain mood/motive. He could accurately "read faces" like you see in modern crime solving TV shows.

Saigonnus

Auror
The "voyage of Jerle Shannara" had a magical ship that still used sails for forward propulsion, but a magical force that allowed it to fly using crystals or some such. The quest discovered an ancient machine like a computer that had security systems and the like still running after centuries of being "idle". The system was complete with robotic sentries and things like that so basically anything goes when it comes to incorporating technology into a fantasy novel.

Telcontar

Staff
So long as you have a reason for why it exists at that time in your world, it isn't anachronistic. Anachronism applies only to the real world.

The thing to watch out for is when you introduce some technology but don't sufficiently explain how it came to be invented before some other tech that, in the real world, preceded it. For instance, creating a world that has siege engines if it doesn't have castles or high walls. Doesn't mean it can't be done thought.

Some non-modern tech that can spice up a world:

Heliographs (messages by flashing mirror -- could be organized to keep a whole kingdom in the loop)
Printing, and established libraries, news systems, and even schools
Medical knowledge

Darkblade

Troubadour
As long as it's invention can be justified within the world you created then there is no Anachronism. Of course to be able to do that properly be prepared to research the offending science down to the micron. It's probably not enough to know how it works but also how people used to think it worked before we were able to better explain it with finer sciences. Things like natural medicines are a good example of this in practice. What we didn't know was anti-bodies, anti-bacterial agents and the like centuries ago we attributed to more mystical causes.

You can apply that line of thinking to things like Greenhouses (the mystical energy from the sun infuses itself into the plants better when it can't return to it's source), hot air balloons (flame scares the air into moving upwards) and the like. Although those are bad examples drawn from the top of my head instead of any real research effort.

Hi,

There's vast quantities of stuff that you can chuck into medieval fantasy. Greenhouses certainly. All that you need is glass, and it's been around a long time. And even if you don't want guns, you can still have rockets. The Chinese invented fireworks something like two thousand years ago. Concrete was invented by the Romans and that if someone had thought to reinforce it with steel, also ancient, could have created a huge building boom. And things like windmills and waterwheels and aquaducts are ancient. Just google something like medieval technology and you'll be surprised. And then for variety take a look at Da Vinci's stuff. Much of it could not have worked given the state of technology back then, but its fantasy, so why not.

Cheers, Greg.

Frankly, I've found that we often underestimate how far back certain inventions go. Stuff like plumbing, water clocks, semaphore communication systems, concrete, advanced forms of medicine... A lot of technology was either available much earlier than we think, or could have been available of someone just got around to having the idea sooner.

You really only have to answer the question: "Is it feasable that these people would have the knowledge. resources and industry to produce this particular technology?" If the answer is yes, go right ahead.

And then for variety take a look at Da Vinci's stuff. Much of it could not have worked given the state of technology back then, but its fantasy, so why not.

A lot of da Vinci's inventions did in fact work just fine - people have actually built them with historical tools and materials. We're talking stuff like a rigid 187 pound parachute, or a functional diving suit.

The thing is, da Vinci didn't want people to use his inventions for evil, so he deliberatelly put mistakes into his schematics hoping anyone who tried would it wrong and discard the results.

Last edited:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Thanks guys,

But does anyone have a few specific ideas of what kind of technology fits seamlessly with a typical medieval setting? Stuff like maybe Barbed Wire or Hang Gliders?

Hi,

Hang gliders no. Da Vincy I think designed one but I don't think it ever flew. But medieval flight, think balloons. And also I'm not sure if it's true or just a novel I read somewhere, but large kites with men hanging from them.

Barbed wire, I can't see why it wouldn't fit in any error where chain mail had been invented, but I don't recall it being used in those days.

Best way we can help is if you give us some specific ideas of tech you want to use, and ask if it's conceivable. Or else ask how someone would deal with a particular problem back then through technology. Also think about the tech tree from Civ, which may give you some ideas.

Cheers, Greg.

FatCat

Maester
Depends, what are you trying to do? Are any specific tech items central to your plot, or are you trying to up the 'cool factor' of your setting? To be honest, I find it rather odd that on a fantasy writers forum there are so many questions as to the probability of certain aspects in a story. I understand the desire to have a seamless technological setting, but in the end almost anything can be written into a story with some sort of logical explanation, whether it be magic or some rogue genius. If there's an element that you want to include, but find it may be a bit outlandish for your setting, then tone it down or disregard it. But honestly, if it is cool and you can include it in some logical way, do it and don't second guess.

Frankly, I've found that we often underestimate how far back certain inventions go. Stuff like plumbing, water clocks, semaphore communication systems, concrete, advanced forms of medicine... A lot of technology was either available much earlier than we think, or could have been available of someone just got around to having the idea sooner.

You really only have to answer the question: "Is it feasable that these people would have the knowledge. resources and industry to produce this particular technology?" If the answer is yes, go right ahead.

Plus, how many people could afford it, and so how much market was there for craftsmen learning to make more than a few of them?

The most amazing technology might just be a modern-like economy, with enough food, homes, and jobs for other inventions to flourish. A lot of today's fantasies seem closer to this prosperity than to Tolkien, so think what that would lead to even if steam engines and other "industrial tech" never worked.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but often I use modern laws with a medieval twist, and especially medicine. I would hate to think about writing a world where healing was really done by balancing humours.. :(

I think barbed wire would be feasible, but most people would probably use dogs. In my world, I use magical wards to protect buildings, but of course, that relies on magic. I like the idea of using unusual technology, and I have to agree with most other posts, that if it's feasible, you should be able to get away with it. I think we covered the greenhouse thing a while back, and in my world, I tend to write pretty advanced stuff like that. But, I keep it reasonable. So for instance, while the big cities have elaborate plumbing under public baths and johns (because plumbing existed long ago in many places), it would be unreasonable for a village cottage to have running water or anything other than a primitive outhouse.

I love the idea of hot air balloons. Perhaps it's just because I live in Albuquerque, but balloons are a way of life out here, and I can just imagine the sort of awesomeness it would be for medieval people to have such a thing. I'd love to read a story which explores little-used but plausible technology.

I draw on a lot of historical resources when I write, and it's really amazing when you discover how truly advanced some things were before the knowledge was lost. I mean Romans had a lot of things that later Europe didn't, and Asia and the Middle East was much more advanced than Europe for centuries. I borrow things from all over, thinking, it's not implausible that a lot of modern living can be accomplished with medieval tools. After all, necessity is the mother of invention, and if your people need things, they will find a way to make it work.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The most amazing technology might just be a modern-like economy, with enough food, homes, and jobs for other inventions to flourish. A lot of today's fantasies seem closer to this prosperity than to Tolkien, so think what that would lead to even if steam engines and other "industrial tech" never worked.

This is somewhat what I'm trying to do. Take out electricity, take out gunpowder, be realistic with steam, put together a strong economy, and fast forward five hundred years. What develops? What wouldn't?

There are a handful of technological advances which have to be included for my setting to work. I'm fine with those. I'm just wondering if I'm missing any outlying technological advances which might reasonably come with them.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Devor:

This is sort of a tangent to your question, but one problem I don't see addressed a lot in fantasy with steam-based technology, especially when that technology has been in place in the world for hundreds of years, is why there is no electricity. Electricity is a natural phenomenon, so any society that has enough of a scientific mind to construct steam technology would at least be looking into it, in my mind. In the real world, steam engines (such as on locomotives) were used to generate electricity. Once you have any kind of "engine" it seems a relatively short step, technologically speaking, to some kind of electricity generation.

Of course, in any given fantasy world you can do whatever you want, but I've always hoped to see at least a bit of an explanation as to why society failed to make the small hop to at least some electrical power when technology like steam has been in place for a few centuries.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Of course, in any given fantasy world you can do whatever you want, but I've always hoped to see at least a bit of an explanation as to why society failed to make the small hop to at least some electrical power when technology like steam has been in place for a few centuries.

The issue, of course, is that electricity takes us into a modern setting. I want the technology to feel as "fantastic" to a reader as the magic, and I think you lose that feel when you bring in electricity and it starts to feel like there's a specific tech-time setting. Plus, electricity opens too many new doors.

As for an in-game explanation, how would you provide one? Bob always wondered why the power of lightning couldn't be channeled through wires across the country to power a lightbulb . . . For the most part, the explanation would be more out of place than the tech.

I only mentioned steam for completion's sake. I'm not really using steam.

((edit)) Also, the steam engine was, in fact, around for over a thousand years before electricity. The pressure from the steam turns the parts; it doesn't necessarily generate electricity.

Engine =/= Generator.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Working in the explanation would be tricky. You wouldn't reference in terms of the absence of electricity, but instead the presence of such things as would make it likely that electrical development would be delayed or never come about.

I know steam devices have been around for a very long time, but when is the first time you actually get a useful steam engine that is used to produce work rather than as some sort of curiosity? Late 1600s? 1700? I may be off by a little bit, but I think that's pretty close. If it is 1700, then you have, what, a little over a hundred years to electric motors? Not that the two have to go hand in hand, but steam technology evidences a scientifically-minded culture, to some extent, so I feel like in works where steam technology has been around and in actual use, to do work, for hundreds of years, there should be some rationale as to why scientific development either went stagnant or limited itself to steam technologies.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I don't think that has to be so true, Steerpike, because the two technologies aren't really that similar. Generators require experiments in chemistry and magnetism, while a steam engine is straightforward engineering. I don't see it as hard to imagine why mechanical motion might develop faster, comparatively, than electromagnetism.

But that's not really what this thread is supposed to be about. I'm not even using steam power.

((edit))

Going back to the original question, do you have examples of some "modern" technology that would fit in an otherwise medieval setting?

Last edited:

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
A shortage or absence of copper might be enough. Steel and iron will conduct electricity but not well compared to copper. And if copper isn't available then you would have to use gold and silver instead and that would make it very expensive... just a thought...

This thread has made me realize something about my steampunk setting that I never noticed before...there's no steam! GAH!

o_O

My steampunk setting uses lightning towers to harness electricity and uses the lightning tech for everything. It boggles my mind that I have been considering this steampunk for so long...I mean, I still consider it steampunk, but it surprises me that I didn't notice the lack of steam...