• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is this offensive or could it be viewed as such.

JamesTFHS

Scribe
So for one of the major capitol's of my world i was thinking of using A'lam Iblis which is arabic for world despair. yes my villains do use this city as their home. Yes alot of violence has happend in this city. So to me the name fits so well. I have a deep love for the arabic language. so my question is will this be offensive to anyone? please give an honest answer.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
There's not much, if anything, to be gained by worrying about offending this group or that. More to be lost, IMO.

It's sometimes hard to tell what will upset people and what won't, because people don't always make a lot of sense.

That said, I can pretty much guarantee that no Swedish people would object if you named the place "Världsångest." I can't imagine why the Arabs would be any different.

Actually, Världsångest mostly sounds like the name of an 80s punk-rock band. Or a modern day chiptune band.

Last edited:

Shockley

Maester
Iblis is the Muslim term for their respective devil figure, so I don't think it would be particularly bad to have villains come from, you know, Satan.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Only if, like, they're portrayed as being in "despair" because of some horrible arabian stereotype.

Valoren

Dreamer
Simply using an arabic name in a negative context isn't grounds for muslims to issue a fatwah on your butt, Just don't insult Muhammed and throw in an positive middle eastern character and your all good.