• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dragon Heads

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I need help selecting two of the six dragon heads in the image below. Which two do you like and why?

561662_341541762623807_1032036166_n.jpg

Nihal

Vala
Oooh, all of them are wicked cool! I'm not sure which use you're going to make of them, but I would pick a heavier one and another more slimmer/elegant, so they compliment each other. Like the last and the first (and I would switch the color of the first for the stripped blue one).

All of them have particular traits that are really cool, but it's nice to have some clear contrast - think of them as black silhouettes. Before tiny traits as feathers come into play it's the general silhouette that dictates the overall design, being faster to spot and leaving a lasting impression. (I'm a little awkward to explain concept art, sorry)

And the color change, if possible, is to get a muted dragon and a colorful one. Muted colors = camouflage, what is good for a dragon that looks bulky as a rock. Stripped, bright colors = poison, what goes well with a slender shape.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I'm designing a race of dragons for my universe. When you say first and last, from which side? First on the right and last on the left?

Nihal

Vala
Top left, of exuberant horns and slender head and bottom right, compact and with a strong jaw.

Numbering the options does help at such times, haha (I've made the mistake of not numbering my own concepts some times in the past).

OGone

Troubadour
I love them all, why only two?

1 2
3 4
5 6

If I had to choose, 1 & 2 are my favorite although I don't like the horn so much on #1. They juxtapose well against each-other, give a good impression of good and evil plus their silhouettes are the most easily identifiable as dragon. 3 & 4 look more serpentine, I really do like the feathers on #4 though if they could be incorporated into the other designs. 5 & 6 look like they're made of rock, some basilisk golem type creatures. I love all of them the top two are my favorite.

You say race, are they humanoid dragons or quadrupeds?

My answer remains the top two, regardless.

Last edited:

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Top left...top right... bottom left.

I know you asked for 2 but I like all threee of those equally. Natural colors, differing horn patterns, head shapes that look like natural reptilian heads but with a twist. The other three don't looks as plausible to me. I'm not sure why...

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Top Right - I like the chin and neck ridges... it looks like they could be a sexual display device [flush with colour when in heat etc...]
Middle Left - I love the colour... it looks the most metallic and for some reason I feel dragons should look metallic...

Personally I think they are all a bit too horny and teethy... and I like a long snout... but there again I've really gotten passed Smaug on the cover of "The Hobbit"

Nihal

Vala
P.s.: As most people pointed out, the top right speaks "DRAGON" really loud. That's why I didn't pick this design, choosing the middle ground instead.

Jess A

Archmage
I like the green and blue dragons for their slenderness and elegance. The colours also attract me. Each dragon seems to be related to a habitat at first glance. The middle right for instance bought to mind ice (perhaps due to the ruff) but I think the horn is far too big. The bottom right is very rocky, and the green speaks forest.

Brighter colours remind me of male (or female if you swap it) dragons looking to impress potential mates, or a means of camouflage.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I like the top two. The colors are nice. They are dissimilar enough to be interesting, but similar enough to share a common heritage. Plus the have a certain elegance of form. I tend not to like dragons with all kinds of thick plates and armor sprouting from their heads.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
All of these look like very strange and exotic dragons from my point of view, quite original designs!!

My two favourites would be the green dragon and the purple and black one, maybe because I like those colours but also because the other designs look like they are made of rock or something...

The red dragon is good as well =)

I need help selecting two of the six dragon heads in the image below. Which two do you like and why?

561662_341541762623807_1032036166_n.jpg

I like the bottom L trio of dragons. I'd be hard pressed which of the bottom two I like the best, but the middle-left is definitely my favorite of the six. I don't care for the triangular skin/growths on the red in the top-right.

If you're making races of dragons, then why not have all of them? I break dragons into five groups that are called "races" but the dragons are so magickal that even their races are ridiculous with the variations.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
The middle on the right looks dopey. I like the top right and bottom right if you're looking for two very different but equally cool ones.

Looking back, the blue one is actually pretty okay. So, yeah. Top right and middle left.

Though I do wonder how the blue one is supposed to bend his neck with those chin-horn-thingies in the way.

Last edited:

mbartelsm

Troubadour
I say third and fifth (left and bottom left). Dragons are supposed to be scary SOB beasts that seen up close would make you pee your pants, IMO those are the scarier ones.

Looking back, the blue one is actually pretty okay. So, yeah. Top right and middle left.

Though I do wonder how the blue one is supposed to bend his neck with those chin-horn-thingies in the way.

Looks like he has to move the whole neck with only slight bending. Maybe we're spoiled by dragons that have the flexibility of yoga masters...?