• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy Races

Motivated by the post by druidofwinter I decided to publish some of the fantasy races I ever create. Actually, only two of them had envolved since they were first envisioned.

Vuuma (plural Vuuma): They are shorter than humans with paler skin and black iris and hair. If that wasn't distinctive enough, they had random black lines that may show in any part of the body, some may be thin and very hard to see while other would be large stains.
Their blood also follow the standart, black in colour. The bones of the Vuuma can also be forged into sharp dark blades, being the third only by the fangs/teeth of Dragolas and a certain unobtainium (infinity +1) metallic league.

The Vuuma blood has also a second, and third, utility: in its natural state is a power acid (they are natural immune to it) which makes fighting a vuuma a rather dangerous task.

They didn't came to the world in the usual and natural way of being created by a god or evolving through the ages but where made by humans.
Long ago, in the distant past, the humans managed to kill one of the Dragon Gods whose body was latter used in studies attempting to put some power into the humans, to make better humans soldier/warrior.
The centuries of research only succeeding in reanimating dead human bodies. But the schoolars never gave up. By studding those rotten walking bodies and using powerful magic they managed to get 'bless' the men (and men alone) into being more powerful, fast and resistant to anything they knew. Yet, these men had a short life span.
Nevertheless, the research continued and more than a thousand years after the Dragon God was slain, they discovered those 'blessed' could couple with women normally and that their offspring would inherit the father 'characteristics'.
In time, this offspring grew and had spring of their own, and that was when everything went wrong.

This last stage wasn't what was the schoolars were trying to achieve, they wanted powerful stronger bodies but the children seemed week. Worst still, they were tameless. This Vuuma, as the name eventually came to be, grew into adulthood faster and easily turned over their parents and those who tried to control them.
To make everything goes to hell, they discovered, far too late, that the offspring between a vumma and a human, whatever would be the sexes, always resulted into another Vuuma.

Centuries of civil war went by until eventually the scorched land was turned into the land of the Vuuma who, in time, get more peaceful.
Sadly, the rest of the world was still afraid and when the timed seemed right, they wipe the vuuma population to the brink of extinction.

Nowadays, someone with those characteristics traces of the vuuma, would be killed on sight at best, when not captured and put to slow deaths in huge arenas.

Another point regarding the vuuma bones. They must be used fresh (within a week of exposition to the air). The fact that their bodies decompose rather quickly make difficult to get the amount necessary to produce a blade. One vuuma is enough single long dagger, maybe a light short sword.

Anelen As with the Vuuma, the original concept was of a man made race but using the combination of Dwarves, Elves and Humans. Its name derives from the portuguese for this three. But this was dropped.

The Anelens were created by one of the Dragon Gods. Envious by its equals who gave birth to goblins, orcs, elves, all of which extinct nowadays, Kaalseru made a race to beat them all.
physically, the Anelen resemble the Irda of Dragonlance, tall, physically and magically strong, elf-like beauty.
But their were bounded direct into their creator minds who used them to attack the other races, until one of the Dragon Gods came to fight them, prompting Kaalseru to do the same or see its creation disappear.

At the end, the Kaalseru won by was badly wounded and eventually let its control over the Aneles slip. When they found themselves free, they plotted agains and killed their creator but to a high cost.
With its last force and using one of its eyes as artefact, Kaalseru cursed the anelens and 'divided' them. The females would keep their beauty and magical affinity but they would also be weak, becoming no more them the elves they once fought, while the male were turned into trolls (see Scandinavian Trolls), been strong and with bigger magical resistance.

Nowadays, the Aneles are rarely called by their orinal names, becoming only elves (females), which is wrong since they aren't the same elves from the beginning of time, and trolls (males). They are also rarely seem, preferring to hide in the mountain (elves) and forests (trolls).
Some of the elves do go into the human society, but those are outcast by their own equals. Trolls don't have the same luck as their appearance strikes fear and they are usually killed on sight or captured ans exotic beasts, even if they have culture, language and knowledge of their own.

Dragolla: Because in this setting Dragons are gods, it is impossible to have they roaming around. In its place, a lesser offspring (feral) of dragons inhabit the different lands.
This lizard like creatures adapted themselves quickly to the environment, even changing their body characteristics.
They are territorial and because of their adaptive skills, blend easy with the surroundings, turning a hunt on this creatures a usually costly (deadly) adventure.

Tom

Istar
Cool! I like the original concepts you've thought up for your races. Love it! Keep up the good work.

And just so you know, druidofwinter was inspired by my thread covering the same subject. :)

Intriguing. The Vuuma do have a lot of reasons to be nasty, and I'm always a fan of making weapons from "dem bones dem bones." (Take a look at the Swords thread; Anders explained that what makes a better-than-steel blade would be a material that's harder (holds its edge) without being more brittle and breakable.)

They were nasty but envolved, their culture once they got in peace with themselves, and completely closed to the rest of the world, developed a lot to the point of steam punk.
Other kingdoms, afraid and envious, destroyed them, branding them the 'cursed people'.

The race will never die, since the offspring between a Vuuma and Human is always Vuuma (that is no half-vuuma, like half-elf).
Also, I forgot to mention, diluted in water, their blood become a strong poison.
And about the intercourse between Vuuma and Human, it is never really pleasure to the human. The human mother rarely survives the birth.

Edit:
Also, that is bandits who tatto they skins and dye their hair to look vuuma-like and use fear as a weapon. Whenever they found someone who knows how a vuuma really is (not that much) or who had the courage to face the 'cursed', they a doomed.

Last edited:

Asterisk

Troubadour
Stumbled upon this thread, and I'm so glad I read it! I love the names and characteristics you've given your fantasy races, most which I haven't seen before. The hard work is evident in your summaries and inspiring. Keep working at it!

Woah. Thanks. How did you 'stumbled' on it, it was far away ahead. Anyway, thank you for your comment.

So far, they are not prominent in any of my writing trials at the moment. Only a nod in a prophecy that is wrongfully misunderstood and will throw the world in darkness once completed.

Gurkhal

Auror
I have a short question. What kind of plot or themes do envision that these races will be used for in your story/stories?