• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Appealing to Readers

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
We've previously debated how much you can expect readers to check in and follow a blog on a regular basis. I don't want to repeat those discussions here. But as so many blogs, or at least so much blogging content, appeals to writers and industry aficionados, rather than the common reader, I thought I would ask:

What kind of blog content targets readers? Can people find some great examples of blog posts that should make you curious to read a book by the author?

risu

Troubadour
A friend recently asked the same question. Elizabeth Seckman, Author: Bella's Point Blog Challenge She decided to host this blog challenge (in addition to promoting her book).

As bloggers, our goal is not only to connect with each other, but to lure in readers. I often wonder, what sort of post is most entertaining to the hard core, voracious readers we all dream about? Flash fiction? Educational? Personal insight? What is it the readers want?

I've been following along with her challenge and reading all of the entries. Most of the entries, including mine, have been flash fiction. Since the challenge is still going, we don't know what the readers will decide, but I find it interesting that we typically think of readers wanting more stories.

But is that true, or just what we want to believe?

If it's an author I like, I want to know more about that author--get a glimpse into their life and find out what's coming up. If it's an unknown author, I like to see their thoughts on matters, what they enjoy, research topics, and what their personality is. For an unknown, I think flash fiction easily breaks my interest. If it makes me wince, then I probably won't pick up their book. But their voice usually comes out in whatever blog content they have. And that is a deciding factor for my purchase.

Ryan_Crown

Troubadour
I would be curious to see the results of the challenge. Since I've just seriously started to write, my focus has been on my novel, not on setting up a blog. Part of me I think is intimidated by the idea of doing a blog, because of that question of content. What do I write about? And more specifically, what do I write that's going to draw in readers (hopefully readers who would want to read my novel once it was finally finished)? I set up an author Facebook page (as something of a starter blog), but so far all I've really done with that is just quick updates as far as how my writing is going, along with the occasional writing resource link. So I would love to see any kind of feedback as far as writing an appealing blog to use as a marketing platform/build a following for your writing (especially in regards to a writer who isn't published yet).

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I've been following along with her challenge and reading all of the entries. Most of the entries, including mine, have been flash fiction. Since the challenge is still going, we don't know what the readers will decide, but I find it interesting that we typically think of readers wanting more stories.

It's hard to say. I tend to think that most readers don't really want to follow blogs. People do want to see a writing sample, but short stories and novels are still different art forms with different audiences. But everything is changing, and there are ways to be successful with only a very small audience. I knew that, but I've only recently started to realize just how small your audience needs to be if you leverage it right.

I think you can be very successful using flash fiction to market a series of novellas. Find a formula that works for you, write fast enough, turn your cover art into a t-shirt, and you can do very well for yourself without ever needing to appeal to that broader audience.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'm currently only following Thomas Weaver's blog https://northofandover.wordpress.com/ - he used to hang out here on the forums a bit just when I joined and for some reason I started following that blog.
It's probably a blog geared more towards writers than readers, but it's made me pick up a few (two) books he's mentioned and I enjoy reading the posts/rants.
I think in a sense it's a lot about the person writing if you keep following or not. I guess it's the same as with a book: you've got to care for the character.

...I'm not sure that's really helpful?

Mythopoet

Auror

I can only speak for myself, but as soon as I see an author/blogger posting short or flash fiction my engagement shuts right down and I close the tab. It could be because I HATE reading fiction on the computer, which is the only place I go on the internet. It could be because I hate really short fiction for the most part. It generally does not satisfy my story hunger at all. It could be because when I'm looking at blogs I'm looking for engagement with the author as a person, not more of their work.

That's what I feel is the whole point of blogs. A place where the author/blogger can engage with their audience, where they can be themselves rather than just the author of X and Y books, where I can get a picture of what kind of person they are and relate to them. This can be accomplished through many different kinds of posts. The most important part seems to me that the author be genuine and engaging and willing to interact with their readers.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I don't read fiction posted on blogs either. I'd much rather get interaction with the author as a person. But that's a two-edged sword as well, because there are at least two or three authors whose stuff I liked and stopped buying because they turned out to be such jerks on social media.

Mythopoet

Auror
I don't read fiction posted on blogs either. I'd much rather get interaction with the author as a person. But that's a two-edged sword as well, because there are at least two or three authors whose stuff I liked and stopped buying because they turned out to be such jerks on social media.

The lesson here is, if you're a jerk, don't use social media. :)

I know what you mean though. There's an author whose blog I used to read and I respected him as an author, but he got insanely and irrationally political about everything and I couldn't stand reading his blog anymore and lost all respect for him.

So, I guess, yes, I want to engage with the author as a person, but I don't want their blog to be the place they air all their crazy opinions. ;)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
So, I guess, yes, I want to engage with the author as a person, but I don't want their blog to be the place they air all their crazy opinions. ;)

Yeah, these authors I am thinking of were also talking about politics, and were completely irrational, rude, and hateful to anyone who had a differing viewpoint. The funny thing is, I don't think I even disagreed with the underlying political viewpoints expressed, it's just that they were so nasty and unprofessional about it I don't feel like buying their books anymore. One author had a book I was looking forward to just a few weeks away, but it has been months now and I still haven't bought it.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
That sounds like an awesome idea! :)

What do you like to read as a reader, Devor? Do you follow any author blogs?

I've got a My.Yahoo account setup with the RSS feeds I follow, but none of them are author blogs. I read Lifehacker, Gizmodo, HBR, Politico, and Yahoo News. There's some youtube channels. And I also catch the Order of the Stick webcomic, the Writing Excuses podcast, the Roundtable Podcast, and the Shut Up & Sit Down tabletop review site.

I set up a Feedly account to follow a lot of author blogs. Feedly is great for that. And there's some good blogs there but I never check it at all. Mythic Scribes is the best place I could find for a writing community, by far, and I don't check anywhere else.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Mythic Scribes is the best place I could find for a writing community, by far, and I don't check anywhere else.

I'm sure there are other great writing places and communities out there, but I just haven't felt the need for more.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I'm with you, Devor. I look in on others from time to time, but this one is head and shoulders above. Many kudos, both to the keepers of the flame and the rest of us who fan it.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
To get back to the topic, if flash fiction isn't the sure-fire way to catch readers that we would expect it to be . . . what is?

Last edited:

risu

Troubadour
Not politics. :)

I'm not entirely sure. The authors I follow just talk about their life, upcoming appearances, or projects they're investing in. I think it's harder for an unknown.

Mythopoet

Auror
Just like with fiction, there is no sure way to appeal to readers while blogging. I think your best bet is to put yourself out there, be genuine, offer meaningful and varied content, and be willing to engage with readers. Also, consistency is good. Back when Kristine Kathryn Rusch posted a business post every Thursday, I was there every Thursday religiously. Now that she's stopped posting those business blogs, I don't visit her site. Her free fiction and book recommendations don't interest me.

You can't interest everyone, of course. I think blogging and writing are the same, you have to write what interests you and put your unique perspective on it, then you put it out there for the people who share your interests to find.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I remember when blogging was more about just putting your thoughts out there publicly and not about getting views, making Ad Sense money, etc. I used to do that on Myspace. Remember that? :)

In any case, I tend to like blogs that do just that: opinions or thoughts from an author about some kind of topic. This can be anything as long as their passion comes through about it. I've read blogs about subjects I probably wouldn't normally like, but because the author talks about it with passion it attracts me more.

I tend to shy away from blogs that get political as well, simply because I don't want to read THAT kind of passion.

I think there are lots of people who like to see samples of writing or flash fiction and that works for some. It obviously doesn't work for everyone though. I do that on my blog now and again.

Chuck Wendig's blog is one of the better ones I've found. Mostly because he can make "101 Ways to Watch Paint Dry" sound interesting. I don't think he posts samples or anything, but he does host flash fiction contests for other writers which I think encourages interaction. He also tends to talk about hot topics in the field and many see him as the go to guy for writing advice.

For me to get hooked on a new blog, the voice of the author definitely gets me interested with the subject matter next. I prefer a blog to feature varied content if possible, but if someone does one thing really well, I'll stick with him or her.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Chuck Wendig's blog is one of the better ones I've found. Mostly because he can make "101 Ways to Watch Paint Dry" sound interesting. I don't think he posts samples or anything, but he does host flash fiction contests for other writers which I think encourages interaction. He also tends to talk about hot topics in the field and many see him as the go to guy for writing advice.

But does he appeal to you as a reader or as another author? I think that's the big question when it comes to blogging. It's great that there are blogs that appeal to writers. And certainly the two groups don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Can anyone point to a blog post that kind of sorta makes you want to buy a book by the author?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Can anyone point to a blog post that kind of sorta makes you want to buy a book by the author?

For me, no. Just because someone is a good, interesting blogger doesn't mean they know how to like fiction. If I come across a particularly good blog by a writer, I'll probably take a look at his/her work, where previously I might not even know it existed, but the blog isn't going to make me want to buy their work. I have, however, read comments on blogs about other works (whether reviews or even casual mentions) that have made me want to buy a book.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
For me, no. Just because someone is a good, interesting blogger doesn't mean they know how to like fiction. If I come across a particularly good blog by a writer, I'll probably take a look at his/her work, where previously I might not even know it existed, but the blog isn't going to make me want to buy their work. I have, however, read comments on blogs about other works (whether reviews or even casual mentions) that have made me want to buy a book.

That's how I feel, too. Like the point of blogging is mostly to get other bloggers talking about you. But that can't be the end-all of it. There are blog posts that appeal to readers. They're out there, even if they're few and far between. It's just, where are they?

I'm a reader. I've never read a book by you. There are tons of authors with blogs just like yours. I'll give you one post. I may only give you one paragraph of one post. Make an impression. What've you got?

What lives up to the challenge?

And don't get me wrong. There are lots of reasons to blog, or to keep a website generally. It's a landing site for information about your work and to make yourself accessible. But it feels like there should be more.