• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Cover art/ artists

ndmellen

Minstrel
I don't have a lot of faith in the company that is doing my cover art...they seem to mostly be using stock images...any suggestions for good companies/ artists?

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
A lot of cover designers use stock images. It's what they do with them that counts. The best will take several stock images and manipulate them to make a unique and compelling new image, using appropriate fonts. The worst... well, we've all seen examples of those.

The question is what sort of cover you want for your book. A lot of fantasy authors like original art for their covers, and if that's you, then yes, it sounds like your current company isn't a good match. But if you're paying them to work for you, why not just tell them what you want?

ETA: For anyone who wants to know what a good cover designer can do with stock images, you can look at my cover (link here: Amazon.com: The Plains of Kallanash eBook: Pauline M. Ross: Kindle Store).

Last edited:
C

Chessie

Hey, I did a search for this a bit ago and came up with some good sites, one of which I've decided to go with. I'll send that link to you via PM. :)

TWErvin2

Auror
It depends on what you desire, and how much you hope to pay for the work. Original art tends to be more expensive than utilization of stock images.

Christine Griffin has done the cover art for my novels and short story collection. I think she did a pretty sharp job. You can follow the link in my signature file to see the covers.

Also, below is a link to an interview with her that might give you some more information about what to expect from a cover artist. If you have any additional questions about working with Christine, PM me.

Link: Interview with Artist Christine Griffin