• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Would you do a crossover?

King_Cagn

Scribe
Hello everybody, it's been awhile. But I'm just gonna go right through an ask as the title says, would you do a crossover?

Let's say you have a friend who writes as well and you both like one another's works, would you work with your friend on crossovering both your stories just to see what you would create?

What are your thoughts on this?

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Why not? You should experiment a lot with your writing.

You might find collaboration to be a grand thing. You might not be able to work creatively with others. But, what do you have to lose? A little time?

Any writing effort, performed in earnest, is never wasted.

Jabrosky

Banned
My mom has suggested something like this to me. She suggested I collaborate with someone else to help me with my writing. For instance, I suck at plotting, so my comrade could help me design a plot for my characters to act in. Honestly it sounds like something I want to try out.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The trick to a good crossover is fitting into the storylines of both stories. If I thought a potential crossover did that, I might go for it.

But with all the worldbuilding involved in a fantasy setting, a genuine crossover seems tough. It's not like the Arrow and the Flash where they're both set in the same world, so a crossover can maintain continuity and advance both stories. You'd have to deal with some kind of dimension hopping, which immediately sets a different tone that most of the time just wouldn't work.

It's hard for me to imagine a story where Frodo runs into Tyrion at the interdimensional cantina and I would still consider it a real crossover, instead of fans just having a bit of fun. Offhand, I don't think I'd be quick to do something like that unless I was finished with the full story. I think I would want fans to think of the serious work first and foremost as they drool in anticipation for the next installment.

But sometimes an actual crossover is doable. Like if I writing something Dr. Who-ish, then it's just another story. Or if the two works could feisibly be set in the same world, then yeah.

Fyle

Inkling
Depends on which material I use.

Some I want seperate, some I am more open minded with.

SugoiMe

Closed Account
That's what my friend did with her sister. Initially, they had worked on their sci-fi world together and then branched off with their own stories. I wouldn't mind connecting my story to hers, either. It'd be an awesome sci-fi/fantasy mesh.

Addison

Auror
I don't believe "crossovering" is a real word. Sorry if this sounds brainy, my family and I just watched Big Bang Theory.
My friend and I did try once. It didn't quite work. We used each other's work as a realm that the characters from our own work is sucked into. As they go through the characters, creatures and such in that world they confront conflict as their characters and magics collide.

I've done such things with other worlds. I've sent by characters to the Marvel Universe, DC Universe, Charmed, Supernatural, Grimm and Once Upon A Time. It works really well, and is a hecka lot of fun. :D

Vilya

Scribe
I think the key to making this work is to lean on each other strengths. One person might be excellent at plotting, another have a really dynamic writing voice. The list could go on and on. For me there would have to be more in it then just the idea of meshing two worlds. I would have to feel that both writers would benefit from the company of one another.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Sounds like a great idea. You could even pick a few characters that each of you will design and provide the dialogue. You will run into areas that you disagree on, but usually if worked through in a pleasant way you end up with a greater story than either of you would have on your own. If it doesn't work out then you write your own version based on what you like. Both of you need to remember...its only a story. Don't take things personally when working through ideas. Good luck.