• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

When you just can't stick to a concept

srebak

Troubadour
It feels like whenever i try to visualize a story, the concepts i decide to use keep changing and changing until they end up becoming different concepts entirely. Is that normal?

Fyle

Inkling
Seems like the symptoms of a gardener.

Perhaps you would be better at writing in an "architect" style. Plot out the storyline and then write it? I hear some people work better as either or... dunno. Seems like a fairly vague question.

Mentioning more specifics would help posters here give you advice!

Have you read On writing by Stephen King or Zen in the Art of Writing, by Bradbury?

These are two writers who openly advocate letting the story take you wherever it goes. Give them a read, I strongly recommend it. Don't feel uncomfortable about your writing, sit down, write and just let your first draft flow. It'll be shit, all first drafts are, but if the story's there, you will find it and polish it.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
srebak, it's entirely normal, but there's a sure cure.

Write.

As long as you are in Conceptualizing Mode, stories can and will morph repeatedly, because basically you are daydreaming. I do not mean that as a pejorative. Dreaming is an extremely important human activity, and dreaming during the day is both healthy and fun. All dreams wander, moving in surprising ways, so what you're doing is perfectly normal.

I used to worry that if I started writing, even if it was merely to start outlining, the odds were pretty high that the path I chose would be a wrong one and would lead to a dead end. That time spent would therefore be time wasted.

That perception changed one day when I took myself into a back alley and slapped some sense into myself. The time being wasted was the time I was spending *not* writing. No time spent writing is time wasted. Those literary dead ends are exactly analogous to the brush stroke of a painter who then covers it with other brush strokes. All are necessary to the finished product even though the viewer sees only the top layer.

Thereafter, I cleaned myself up, sat down, and started writing. I feel much better now.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I'm in line with what Skip.knox said.

Stories evolve. The only way to stop them from changing is to put them down on the page. Even then, after the editing process, the story will change even more. And in the end the story on the page will never be exactly like the story in your head.

The more you write, the more you'll realize this. A story is like a child. You can nudge them in one direction or another. You can expose them to boat-loads of ideas, but in the end the child will choose it's own path. And if you force them down a road they aren't meant to go, you'll end up with a mess on your hands.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Perhaps you need to approach the stories from a different angle. If you always start from the beginning then switch. Think of where you want your characters to be at the end, both mentally and physically. Once you know how you want them to be, work backwards to the beginning and decide how you want them to start.
You can also set up a flow chart showing each of your ideas then ask a few people to pick the path they like the best. Hope this helps.

C

Chessie

Hi, this is totally normal. One thing I've been learning about lately is how to construct good plots using plot point, pinch points, etc. For a week, I have spent time working on the outline for my next story but it keeps morphing. Its very annoying...and now I'm not really sure what to write. So that's the first step. Figuring out what kind of story you want to write, then getting a story goal and working from there. I've been reading "Rock Your Plot" and have been finding it very useful in playing with concepts and seeing where they peter out. Its also part of the process she describes in her book, whether or not your great story idea can "hold water" when you write it down on the outline. I recommend researching about how to brainstorm plot, character, setting, and conflict and playing with your story ideas to see which ones stick. Good luck!