• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

When the title doesn't make sense

srebak

Troubadour
I'll cut right to the chase; in a fantasy novel i'm writing, i've chosen to use the title: Island of Dragons. The main character is a dragon from this island and the story does start at titular location, but the rest of the story is about the MC traversing the other islands near his own. So i ask you, do i need to change the title?

Chilari

Staff
That depends. If the island represents a theme that comes up throughout the story, or is physically returned to, or the source of key plot elements, or for some other reason relevant throughout, it should be fine. If it's just the starter area, and barely mentioned again, maybe not. Someone who has read your story would be better placed to tell you. An editor, ideally.

I wouldn't get too attached to a title though. You never know, you might find the perfect title months down the line when you're writing chapter 38, or telling your friend what the core themes in your story are, or working out the blurb.

TWErvin2

Auror
A title, just like the cover, is as much marketing (or more) than anything else. Would you, as a reader, be annoyed once you finished reading the novel, that the title's contents didn't have significant relevance beyond the early chapters? I'm not so sure I would, however, I could imagine a reader that might not have enjoyed the novel, using it as a complaint point--but that's looking for a reason.

If it's a concern you could always alter it a little, such as From the Island of Dragons. But, as Chilari indicated, a better title might come along as you're completing the novel. And if you go the traditional route, your publisher might have a better one altogether (or may just select one, depending on the publisher).

Trick

Auror
Dragon of the Islands?

I second the idea that you should revisit the title later, once more of it is written.

Hi,

I'll third the idea of worrying about the title at the end.

Personally I like titles that are a little bit obscure. For example one of my books is "And All The Stars A Grave" which is a variant of James Blish's book "And All The Stars A Stage", which in turn is a corruption from the Bard. I don't expect all my readers to know that - James Blish has been gone from the scene for a while. But the name also fits well with my MC's occupation as an exo-archaeologist, and with the plot.

Cheers, Greg.

Honestly, I would by the Island of Dragons by its name alone, unless accompanied by a lame cover art and blurb.

If the story is good enough that I'll be keeping reading, I won't mind it. Bonus if the MC actually can't go back for his island.

srebak

Troubadour
@Asura Levi - 1. What's a Blurb

2. What exactly are you saying?

@stephenspower - I looked that up i think, and near as i can tell, no one has used that title for anything that would have copyrights.

I'll say it again, the problem with naming my book "Island of the Dragons" is that the titular island plays very little part in the actual story, as the MC mostly travels through the archipelago that the titular island is a part of. It only serves as the setting for the first few chapters.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
For me I like the title to be more specific to the story and not something that could be used on other books. I would use the name of the island in the title. Example if the island is called Kyrune (just made a random name) I would make the title
Kyrune
The Island of Dragons
If most of the story takes place elsewhere then perhaps have the title reflect the main character's name or quest. Perhaps you need to write more of the story and get a feel for what the most important aspect of the story. Hope this helps.

Fyri

Inkling
Well, I like the idea. Obviously the Island in question is your MC's place of Origin. So, I can see it making sense. I mean, that is still a connection to the story and if that draws in your readers, Kudos!

Granted, this only makes it slightly personal. Perhaps giving that island a name would be a helpful idea. It would definitely help the reader feel their way into your world. (using Crooks' made up name) You could even give it the title, The Dragon of Kyrune. Even better, Use your MC's name! Blankity of Kyrune. Well, you'd put your actual character's name.

Or you could even try the Island Dragon? Meh.

Other than that, I would suggest something to do with the other islands, but only if that really feels right. Truthfully, there areas many possible titles for a story as there are themes. You could play on so many aspects from your story and never find the perfect title until you just let go and write. Even then, it may take a publisher or and outside reader to figure it out.

As a final note, I will stick with my first suggestion. Even if you don't end up using it as the title's name, it's good to have the Island's name. World Building is very important and necessary to these kinds of books. It not only draws a reader into a need to explore and satisfy their curiosity, but also gives you and them a firmer grasp of your story. Plus, who doesn't love world building? :D

Last edited:

Jenurik Name

Dreamer
I like Dragon of the Islands. Right away it sparks the curiosity of the reader - "Could this feature a dragon as the protagonist instead of a human? I've never read that before."

It sets it apart as unique. So many series involve dragons as another creature, or playing the part of the hero's companion, so drawing attention to the fact that your story is different works in your favor. And is accurate to boot.

Laurence

Inkling
I like Dragon of the Islands. Right away it sparks the curiosity of the reader - "Could this feature a dragon as the protagonist instead of a human? I've never read that before."

It sets it apart as unique. So many series involve dragons as another creature, or playing the part of the hero's companion, so drawing attention to the fact that your story is different works in your favor. And is accurate to boot.

Exactly my thoughts.

Island of dragons is a cliché name!

I suggest focusing on the book itself and then look back and determine what the most important elements are, maybe a theme or character or place/event? Originally my one story was titled, "Aeon Star" but later changed it (also due to the fact it sounds like a cheesy manga series)

as a reader I could care less, i'm more drawn by the back cover and the cover art helps. a good title is great, but I like the synopsis or blurb thing more.