• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to keep the sequel from being better than the first

srebak

Troubadour
To put it simply, i'm a little curious as to how to write a sequel story to something without making the sequel seem better than the story that started it all. In my current case, it's me trying to write a sequel fanfic to a show that i like, however, i'm worried that i might end up making the story seem better by comparison, at least to me.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
You shouldn't. I mean, you get better as a writer as you make progress. It's natural. It wouldn't be a good idea, I think, to stunt off your progress.

If the original looks bad by comparison ... well, speaking as someone who hasn't read any of it, but I would think it's a red flag and maybe you should start fresh with a new piece instead of a sequel.

((edit))

It seems I might've missed something . . . . is it a sequel to your fan fiction, or a sequel to the original story? My response was to the first, but if it's the second, making your story compatible with the original is just one of the challenges of fan fiction.

Last edited:

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'm a little confused. Would it be a bad thing if your fanfic was better than the original story it's based on? Is that what you're worried about or am I missing something?

Tom

Istar
If anything, I'd be overjoyed if the sequel were better than the original. All too often, sequels fall short of the original in terms of everything from creativity to writing quality. I want some sequels that go to a depth the original never fathomed. I want sequels that blow me away, not make me say, "Eh, the original was better."

TWErvin2

Auror
I guess you could try to write in a mediocre manner, but why would you?

Like others said above, you're writing and storytelling skills will improve. That's a good thing. Don't be embarrassed by what you wrote before and don't inhibit growth by worrying about it.

X Equestris

Maester
Honestly, you should strive to make your work better over time. The sequel being better than the original is a good thing.

Claire

Scribe
My husband loves to say that my first book is the worst book I'll ever write. He means it in the best way possible.

If you're worried about your fanfic outshining the original, I guess I'd ask why that's a problem? You're writing it, I'd imagine, because you're inspired by the original and you have an idea you feel is worth exploring. Go with it. Have fun.

GregTaylor

Dreamer
I think quality of content is one thing which is inevitably going to improve.. But from book to book, maybe a case of planning the balance of dynamics in a similar fashion to keep them somewhat consistent and what the original readers expect..

Hi,

Exactly like all the others. Your goal as a writer should always be to improve. If your sequel is not better then surely something has gone wrong.

Cheers, Greg.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Hopefully a sequel is equal, if not better than the original. You should always want to improve your work and give the reader a more intriguing story with characters they have grown fond of. Think of how many times people say they wished a story/movie/tv show went in one direction versus another, or that a character had to deal with a different situation or make a different decision. Now you are doing something about it. Enjoy.