• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Copy Editor Pet Peeves

My biggest gripe is when chapters X and X+1 have really good grammar, and suddenly chapter X+2 has massive grammar issues that weren't present before. If your grammar is weak throughout, I'm willing to fix it, and if your grammar gets better as you continue, at least you're learning. But if you clearly didn't put as much effort into writing a particular chapter, why should I put extra effort into fixing it? (I'm not a professional, so I actually have the luxury of sending chapters back and saying "I know you can do better than this.")

SeverinR

Vala
Some need some explaining,
but #3 pretty much shows its exceptable to use the singular "they, since it has been used since the 14th century."

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Oohey, that was fun. Some of it I didn't understand at all, but some was rather funny. I have to admit, the items I didn't understand were perhaps a touch modern for fantasy-genre writers (unless you place "woot woot" into your fantasy where I um...don't?) Anyways, yeah that was a good time. The comments were funnier than the article.

We've talked about grammar a load of times here and one thing's entirely clear, the more I read...people have different understandings and sometimes we know we're right, but we turn out to be wrong. Even the professional editors. They couldn't agree on a few of those.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
HA! I have no idea because some of the context was lost on the little note cards. What are Oxford commas and why were they after each letter? I get the feeling we're talking about something other than superfluous commas... of course, there are loads of things I avoid in writing because i don't know every little rule, but some of these felt like no-brainers.

AAK! I have a challenge entry to write and instead, I'm here playing with you guys. Mythic Scribes...you are a procrastinator's dream.

Mythopoet

Auror
Yeah, some of these people are just wrong. Merriam Webster is telling me that impact is totally a verb and probe is definitely related to conducting an investigation.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I can see how impact has become a verb lately, in recent years (decades?), but to me it will still be the kind of word that the managers in Dilbert like to use. Kind of like "cascade" and "action".

Impact as a verb is on the corporate-bullshit bingo card, right between synergise and leverage as a verb. ;)

I'm all for disregarding Whom from the English language. Can't remember the last time I heard anyone use it, even a news anchor, and they're not real people.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I like 'whom'. I like to use it. 'Who' and 'whom' have differences, and should be used accordingly.
Yes, they are aware of the differences. The idea behind not using "whom" is that many believe the word makes characters sound like butlers. I tend to agree. People don't talk like that.

However, If a character is supposed to speak in an ultra-formal fashion, I'd consider its use.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I agree. I use whom in narrative, not usually in dialogue. There;s a fine line in creating a style, and sometimes it just doesn't fit. I also have the same issue with ending a sentence with a preposition. In dialogue I do, because that's how people talk, but in narrative, I tend to write it correctly. Tough choices, really, because we know the rules, but must appeal to readers. If our characters talk too properly, they come off as pretentious, and if we narrate in improper English, we look like we took remedial English in high school. Blending those two things can be challenging.

Reilith

Sage
I know how it can sound sometimes, but I somehow still really love the word. In narrative I will definitely use whom if the need arises, but yes, probably avoid using it in conversations between characters to keep it simpler. It is much harder for me, as I am not a native speaker of writer, so I constantly have to cross-reference stuff and check grammar, there are still some problems I can't seem to find solution for. A writer's life -sigh- :D

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I have a lot of respect for people who choose to write in English and aren't native English-speakers. There is certainly a difference between a conversational language and its proper use, and HA! a lot of people here aren't too keen on proper usage to begin with. I speak fluent German, but to write in it? OMG, never. Ever. I couldn't imagine what kind of idiot I'd sound like. In fact, I've visited my husband's family in England and there's times I can barely understand that language (not in his family, but out and about town). It's almost like you want to present a good, readable story, but be wary of the tone and style in such a committed way.

Fyle

Inkling
Good post. But I really would need to hear those people's explanations for the comment they wrote to get the full value out of it.

Even just a few lines of explanation or an example of what they considered misuse...