• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hinting at Impotency?

Centerfield97

Troubadour
I'm brainstorming for a short story (or possibly longer) about a knight who is called to a northern castle, alongside many other knights, to help find and kill a newly emerged yeti-like creature threatening the castle and some surrounding villages. Only catch? The yeti lives up on a staircase of ice that ascends and winds from the castle into the snowy mountains, and nobody has ever survived long enough to climb it completely.

Now, the main character (and only POV character) is named Nilos, and he's a knight who is basically completely unable to have sex due to an injury sustained during his training for knighthood. Would it be possible to only hint and foreshadow the fact that he is impotent, or, because he is the main character, would it be something continually on his mind and therefore be weird if it was never mentioned?

Shadoe

Sage
If it happened years and years ago, I'd think it would probably not be on his mind all the time. If he was around a lot of women who wanted to have sex with him, it would probably come up, er, so to speak, but otherwise, why would it be on his mind all the time?

Centerfield97

Troubadour
There's one particular woman who he's interested in who lives at the castle, and I don't want it to come up until they're at a pivotal point in their relationship, so it gives her a reason to go snuggle with the antagonist instead.