• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is a lot of dialogue allowed in a fantasy book?

fantastic

Minstrel
When I say a lot I don't mean just a huge amount in some chapter but in general. Well, I mean both. What do you think about it?

You've probably heard that you need to "show don't tell" but I think too many writers take this as a free license to include an obnoxious amount of dialogue as if this is some loophole they were clever enough to discover. My initial thought when I see too much back and forth dialogue is that the author is either a big comic book reader or they're trying to fluff their book up. Information can be given in dialogue but I prefer more subtle actions.

There's a bit in Great Expectations (I want to say it's Chapter 4) where there's an excellent scene that uses gravy to symbolize love and affection. Weird, I know. I don't think I remember any dialogue from that book but the gravy scene (among others) made quite an impression on me. I understand that Dickens tended towards fluff but I also think he's underrated for his ability to communicate without resorting to a ton of dialogue.

IMO if your page looks more like a screenplay than a novel, you're probably overdoing it. When I see pages and pages of dialogue with little more than "he said / she said" I'm tempted to skip it.

It really depends on what you're comfortable with as both a writer AND reader. Of course my opinion is just one. There's literally an entire world out there filled with readers that disagree with me.

Part of it might come down to pacing. I prefer to read slowly and take my time, reveling in images and poetry of the words. (Unless it's an opera libretto) too much dialogue usually impedes my ability to do that. If you're into something fast paced it might work for you. Just be careful not to overdo it.

MineOwnKing

Maester
TCC offers some great points and advice, I agree with her.

I think it depends on the story and the author's talent.

Dull dialogue without action puts me to sleep.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
General rule of thumb, you're allowed to do anything as long as it's good.

I agree with TCC too. Just because it's dialogue doesn't mean it's not an info dump.

One thing to keep in mind is without narrative it's harder to convey the internal landscape of your POV character.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I like books with heavy dialogue myself, but only if it's interesting. Which of course goes without saying. If it's just people talking without much meat to it (or if it's not entertaining in some capacity), then I'll tend to not like it as much. However, the same goes for me with long sections of narration without any dialogue or interaction. If a story is with one character for a long time, that character has to be incredibly interesting or doing something active in order for me to stay engaged.

MineOwnKing

Maester
If a story is with one character for a long time, that character has to be incredibly interesting or doing something active in order for me to stay engaged.

Yep,

Philip really made a good point here.

If you need a good example of this, I would read the works of Hunter S. Thompson.

His 'so so' dialogue fits perfectly with talented pacing and whacky characters.

When I think I'm starting to get into a writing rut, I run an IV from the Rum Diary directly into my literary vein and the next day I wake up refreshed and ready to edit.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Well, @fantastic, define "a lot".

Seriously, the question could easily be re-stated as "is too much dialog allowed in a fantasy book?"

No.

Don't write too much dialog. Write exactly the amount needed to make the book interesting.

I have many other practical tips. Just ask! ;-)

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
fantastic,

I really think your best bet is to write some scenes and get feedback on them. Try the Showcase here. Scribophile is good. Meetup.com might have an irl group in your area.

You can ask theoretical questions all day long, but, at the end of the day, the answer is: sure, if you execute it well. Neither I nor anyone else, unless they've read your writing, has any remote idea if you can execute it well.

I love dialogue. Characters are nice, but we really see them the most when they interact with each other. If a book goes too long without dialogue, I start skimming and skipping...

On the other hand, I've put down at least one book recently because it contained too much witty banter or talking about things and not enough doing of things. The same rules apply to dialogue as apply to every other sentence in your story: if it doesn't advance things in some way (whether plot, or character development, or world, or preferably more than one) then it possibly shouldn't be there.

If you can write truly great dialog then it won't detract, however this is a skill that has to be cultivated and some people never quite nail it, though it hasn't kept them from having success of course.

The biggest problem I see with dialog is that a lot of the time it just doesn't come across as how people naturally speak to one another. This is especially so when it becomes really melodramatic.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'm curious who you all think writes, or wrote, the best dialogue in fantasy? I find that fantasy tends to be a genre that revels more in the poetry of language and the wonder of the fantastical than being dialogue driven. This is one reason I prefer a more dialogue heavy style (in moderation) because I don't see it as often in fantasy stories. Of course having wonderful prose and great dialogue is awesome, but I do think writers are typically slightly better at one than the other.

I'm curious who you all think writes, or wrote, the best dialogue in fantasy?

Oooh, good question. I think it speaks to how important dialogue is to me as a reader that the first two that spring to my mind (though for very different reasons) are two of my overall favourite authors - Guy Gavriel Kay gives beautiful, significant, poetic lines of dialogue (like he gives beautiful, significant, poetic everything), and Scott Lynch writes such joyful, witty-without-being-contrived, quotable dialogue.

I'm going to ponder this one some more, though, because it's a great question.

SeverinR

Vala
Fantasy isn't a silent picture book, but it isn't all talk and no action.
As others have said, use as much dialog as you need.

To see bad dialog, rent bad movies, it will flow out a lot.
Dialog should add to the story, not distract from it.

Dialog should also not state the obvious, "As you know..." if they know, why are they saying it?

SeverinR

Vala
I'm curious who you all think writes, or wrote, the best dialogue in fantasy? I find that fantasy tends to be a genre that revels more in the poetry of language and the wonder of the fantastical than being dialogue driven. This is one reason I prefer a more dialogue heavy style (in moderation) because I don't see it as often in fantasy stories. Of course having wonderful prose and great dialogue is awesome, but I do think writers are typically slightly better at one than the other.
Start that in a thread of its own. It is a good question, worthy of good responses. That way other people will be able to post. (It gets hard to follow several discussions on one thread)

DeathtoTrite

Troubadour
Funny thing this should come up. I was looking at Game of Thrones when I realized that he had huge amounts of text that are essentially nothing but dialogue. Clearly, its all about how good the author is. George RR Martin might have a lot of text, but it is a relatively small amount of it is just one character lecturing to another about exposition. Stuff is happening. Decisions are being made.

One of the keys to dialog is just how much the writer wants to use it. If you're into it, by all means use more, and figure out how to do it well-- and how to spot what dialog's not as good at and how to cover the minimums of those as well. It's all part of developing your own style.