• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Verdict On Ending Sentences With Prepositions

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
For the most part, I agree, especially when speaking of dialogue. That's how people talk. If it feels natural, do so.

However, one of my personal writing rules is as follows:
End sentences with strong words.
Since discovering this little gem of advice, and putting it into practice, I discovered it works wonders for my writing. Most times it is possible to end sentences with strong words. The technique adds a lot of power. My writing reads with greater urgency. Prepositional endings do not have this effect.

“This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put.” -Winston Churchill (supposedly)

"

So my rule is if my sentences end up looking like that then I'm using the dang preposition.

For the most part, I agree, especially when speaking of dialogue. That's how people talk. If it feels natural, do so.

However, one of my personal writing rules is as follows:

Since discovering this little gem of advice, and putting it into practice, I discovered it works wonders for my writing. Most times it is possible to end sentences with strong words. The technique adds a lot of power. My writing reads with greater urgency. Prepositional endings do not have this effect.

How about "down"? It's a pretty strong sentence-ender. There's often a feeling of finality to it.

The video game OFF also makes great use of the titular preposition as an ending, matter-of-factly signifying how places and people simply cease to exist. And while I can't think of a good example, I'm sure you could do something with "underneath."