• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Unique way for organizing chapters

As I have said before my book does not read like most modern novels being published. I draw a lot of inspiration from older classics like The Illiad, the Odyssey, the Divine Comedy, and even the Silmarillion. So my book spans hundreds of centuries and reads like a poetic narrative historia so to speak. To make it less "boring" for the reader and making it seem like a history lesson I have chosen key characters that are important to the lore that have been spread throughout the collected lore. Each character is in different places of the world and help shape the world around them, moving it in new direction.

I had the inspiration to organize my entire book as a collection of books. So if the first chapter is focused on the events about a guy named Tim, the first section would be called The Book of Tim, and within this book would be chapters that would be just like chapters in any other book. Once Tim's story is over, it would be time for a new character to take the stage. The next section would be the Book of [insert character of legendary status here] Each character would be the "main" character of their pwn respective books. Think of the Bible; The book of Exodus is about Moses and the liberation of the Jews and the Ten Commandments. Yet later on, the book of Mark is mostly about Christ. This is the idea that I would use.

Some books will be much longer than others but each book will be its own complete and fleshed out tale that just so happens to tie in with all the other books sharing the same world, and by telling the overall story through smaller books comprised into one, I hope to share this grand tale that I have made but by bringing the massive scale and scope down to a more personal level. The pov can and will shift around perhaps to other characters, nations, gods etc. but the main focus of each book is the central character it is about. What are your thoughts on this?

Incanus

Auror
I have no idea concerning the commercial viability of such a work, but for myself, I dig it. Of course, it all depends on how it is executed. The structure reminds me a little of the Silmarillion as you said, but also of Tanith Lee's Tales of the Flat Earth (at least the first book, which has a different character it focuses on in each section, but also has one demon-lord who is important throughout). I'm not the least bit put off by stories centered on milieus, rather than on MCs, though it probably helps if served up with some special kind of pizzazz, or unifying feature.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
It sound great. The one aspect that must be clear to the reader is how each separate story/character is connected to the main plot. Otherwise the reader will wonder why a section/chapter was included in the story. The tie-in doesn't need to happen at the beginning, yet should be apparent by the end of the book.

I've only ever seen this in movies like Crash and and Tarantino flicks. Their transitions worked because of the thrill ride. The Bible works because it's God. Your effort is viable but what should be obvious is that it's a high standard to live up to without convincing readers they have a short story anthology before they finally find the chapter tie ins.