• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Suggested Challenge Sites?

Zadocfish

Troubadour
I'm not asking for plugs or anything, but I can only seem to get motivated to write when there's some kind of challenge involved. Anyone know any good sites with regular/a lot of writing or short story challenges? Preferably fantasy/sci-fi, of course, but any will do.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
We used to have abundant challenges on this site. Still a few going on. I submitted a tale for 'Fat Cat's' challenge a few days ago.

Once or twice, the thought has crossed my mind about bringing back a variant of Ankari's 'Iron Pen.' We have several new writers here who could benefit from such.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I wish somebody would bring back Iron Pen. Aside from that, Challenges here tend to come and go in spurts. We're due one.

IMO, challenges are great, and there are a number places doing them. But it's not the challenge itself that matters. To get yourself to care and focus on a challenge, you need to care about the community and the people reading it or competing with you. Otherwise it's just a prompt.

Not sure about any proper challenges with rules and all, but I like to combine several prompts from the Seventh Sanctum envisioner and theme generators and give myself limits like time and word count.